Java Programming using the Eclipse IDE
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This course covers two topics, an introduction to java programming and how to use the popular Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE). The Java programming language has been around since 1995 and has grown in popularity since then. This course introduces Java programming and how to use the popular Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and teaches the fundamentals of Java and object-oriented programming.
The course covers how to create and manipulate objects, control flow in a program and how to use many of the features of both Java and eclipse.
The course will be taught as a series of presentations, walk through examples and exercises to complete. The exercises start as walkthroughs to build basic java projects and use the functionality in the eclipse IDE, and by the end we will be writing larger GUI and simple web based java applications, also apply Test Driven Development (TDD) design principles.
- Install and setup java and Eclipse IDE
- Write programs and run them from both the command line and the IDE
- Understand the basics of java programming
- Creating objects and methods
- Control flow within methods
- Manipulating data
- Access control
- Write several programs starting from the very simple command line programs through to full GUI applications
- Build basic web applications using servlets and JSPs
- Use some of the aspects of functional programming in Java 8
- Packaging up java files to use as executables
- Create JavaFX user interfaces
- Implement Test Driven Development in Java
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction to Java and Eclipse (4 topics)
- Introduction to Java
- Installing Java and Eclipse
- Creating our first project
- Running java programs from the command line and IDE
Basic Syntax (5 topics)
- Expressions, comments and blocks
- Primitive Types
- Simple Maths and Logical Expressions
Control Flow (5 topics)
- What is control flow?
- Nesting statements
- Debugging in Eclipse
Introduction to Objects (5 topics)
- What is an object
- Introduction to Java Objects
- Creating Objects
- Generating the boilerplate in eclipse
Inheritance (3 topics)
- Inheritance hierarchies in Java
- Abstract Classes
Interfaces (2 topics)
- Implementing interfaces
- Extending Interfaces
Collections and Generics (5 topics)
- What are collections
- Lists, Maps and Sets
- Iterating over collections
- Sorting collections
- Generics and Bounded Types
Exception Handling (3 topics)
- The Try ... Catch ... Finally block
- Writing our own exceptions
UI / Swing and JavaFX (3 topics)
- AWT and Swing?
- Creating a UI
- GUI elements
Layouts (5 topics)
- Eclipse's WindowBuilder
- JavaFX layout managers
- Creating Java UIs
Functional Programming in Java 8 (3 topics)
- What is functional programming?
- Lambda Expressions
- Virtual Extension Methods
Java Web Applications (3 topics)
- What are Web Applications?
- A brief introduction to presentation and service web applications
- Creating web applications in eclipse
Packaging it all up (3 topics)
- Distributing software
- Creating Jar files
- Build managers
Javadoc (3 topics)
- What is Javadoc
- The Java API
- Writing our own documentation
Test Driven Development (TDD) – Java (7 topics)
- Unit testing - JUnit
- Test Driven Development
- TDD Life Cycle - Red, Green, Refactor
- The TestCase and Assert classes
- POJO class under test
- Creating and executing the test cases
- JUnit 4 annotations
You will require prior experience with the concepts of computer programming, however no experience of Java is assumed.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.