Radio Fundamentals Overview
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
Wireless communications is a normal and important part of our lives today. Some knowledge of the fundamentals of Radio Frequency (RF) enables the basic understanding of any wireless technology or network and allows delegates to appreciate what technologies may be able to deliver, their limitations and to understand manufacturers specifications, etc.
This one day course is intended to provide delegates with enough RF knowledge to understand the language of wireless and appreciate why many of the limitations of wireless exist. It will certainly not make anyone an expert in RF – that takes years - but will stand as a primer for further learning.
There are no hands on practicals on this course however, some very simple deciBel examples will be worked through.
At the end of this course, delegates will:
- Receive a grounding in radio spectrum and why it is such a scarce resource
- Be aware of radio channels and Shannon’s Law
- Appreciate the need and use of the deciBel and its different forms.
- Understand some of the impacts on radio propagation
- Receive an appreciation of the need for modulation
- Know something of the task of Forward Error Correction
Radio Waves and Channels (4 topics)
- What are radio waves?
- The Electromagnetic Spectrum
- Controlling radio use, the role of the regulator
- Radio bandwidth and channels
Noise and Interference (5 topics)
- Signal to Noise Ratio
- The Cornerstone of All Data Communications: Shannon's Law
- The Thermal Noise all Around Us
- Man-made Noise
- Impact of Rainfall
The Language of RF (2 topics)
- DeciBels, dBm, dBw and dBi
- Antennas: dipole and isotropic and antenna gain.
Getting the Data onto the Carrier Wave (3 topics)
- The job of Radio Modulation
- Modulation Techniques
- Forward Error Correction
Radio Propagation (1 topic)
- Multipath and Fading
Radio Planning (1 topic)
- What, Why and How?
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.