Better Business Cases Foundation
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This two-day course provides delegates with a thorough understanding of the five case model for creating Business Cases as mandated by HM Treasury. During the course we introduce the five cases and how they relate to the Government gateway reviews of spending and the three stages of development which culminates in the fully fledged Business Case. We also explain how these three stages are broken down into steps and actions. Throughout the course, our experts help delegates understand the benefits of adopting the five case model by use of examples from the real world.
All relevant course materials are provided.
The course includes the Better Business Cases Foundation Examination.
Throughout the Better Business Cases Foundation course, delegates will be exposed to numerous examples of examination questions. We will undertake a number of exercises and 'question-and-answer' sessions that will help to consolidate the learning, thereby ensuring that delegates are more than adequately prepared for the exam.
During this course you will learn how to:
- Understand the importance of the Business Case
- Understand how the proposal fits with an organisation's strategic vision
- Establish the clear need for change
- Set clear objectives
- Determine 'value for money' solutions
- Consider a wide range of solutions and optimise the 'long list' into the 'short list'
- Ascertain whether the proposal is affordable and viable
- Consider such aspects as Risk, Procurement, Benefits and Management
- Consider the proposal to be able to deliver a successful delivery
The Better Business Cases course uses QA's unique multimedia case-studies and accelerated-learning techniques to ensure that theory is embedded and delegates feel confident in the practical application of this model. Additional evening work will be required in the form of consolidation reading and mock examination questions. The evening work is an integral part of the course and delegates should expect to spend approximately two hours on these activities.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Developing the Strategic Case (5 topics)
- Defining the case for change
- Setting SMART objectives
- Defining benefits
- Defining key risks
- Balancing Effectiveness / Economy / Efficiency
Developing the Economic Case (5 topics)
- Options framework analysis
- Defining the 'long list'
- Benefits appraisals
- Risk appraisals
- Turning the 'long list' into a 'short List' and a 'preferred option'
Developing the Commercial Case (3 topics)
- Determining the procurement strategy
- Apportioning risk
- Determining payment mechanisms
Developing the Financial Case (4 topics)
- Ascertaining affordability
- Securing relevant funds
- Determining capital requirements
- Net effect on prices
Developing the Management Case (5 topics)
- Defining project management controls
- Defining change controls
- Define benefit measurement arrangements
- Define risk management arrangements
- Define post project evaluation processes
No prerequisites are necessary for attendance, although delegates would benefit from some experience of creating business cases for large capital expenditure projects and an appreciation of financial terminology.
Delegates are provided with a copy of the Better Business Cases - Full Guidance document. This 152 page document is the basis for the course as well as the Foundation exam. Ideally delegates will have read this document but they must have read at least the first three chapters.
Delegates are also expected to have read and completed the exercise (in the pre-reading).
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.