Migrating to Windows Vista
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Microsoft Windows Vista Training Courses.
Migrating to Vista: The View from 30,000 Feet (10 topics)
- Why is Vista Really Different?
- Deployment Changes
- Vista Versions for Corporations
- Hardware Minimums for 32/64-bit Vista
- Install vs. Upgrade
- Transfer Tools
Building a Virtual Test Bed (4 topics)
- What is Virtual?
- Pros and Cons of Virtual Machines
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Feature
- Other Virtual Machine Products
Using Win PE 2.0 (7 topics)
- What is Win PE?
- Win PE Versions
- Win PE Features: Plug and Play Support, Network Support, Imaging Tools, Adding Language Packs
- Booting with a WIM Image
- Using the Windows Recovery Environment
- Tools for Building Win PE
- Win PE Tools used for Deployment: bcdedit, diskpart, drvload, Oscdimg, etc.
Vista Imaging Tools (4 topics)
- Using Imagex: Working with WIM Images
- Imagex Command-Line Syntax: /capture, /config, /compress, /append, /info, and /apply
- Windows System Image Manager: Creating Catalog Files, Distribution Shares, and Answer Files
- Sysprep Syntax and Usage
Windows Deployment Services (10 topics)
- What is Windows Deployment Services
- Server Functionality Modes for WDS: Legacy, Mixed, and Native Mode
- Installing and Configuring Windows Deployment Services
- Using WDSUTIL from the Command Line
- PXE Booting Clients to Install Windows Vista
- Configuring the Boot Menu
- Creating Images using Windows Deployment Services Client
- Understanding Capture, Install, and Discover Images
- Using Unattend.xml Files with Windows Deployment Services
Evolution of Security Policy (2 topics)
- Network Access Protection
- Group Policy
Application Compatibility (8 topics)
- Meaning of Vista "Logo Compliance"
- Legacy Application Compatibility
- Program Compatibility Wizard
- Using the Application Compatibility Toolkit and Application Verifier
- Inventory and Analyze your Organization's Applications
- Elevated Run Levels for Legacy Apps
- Running the Compatibility Administrator to Create Application Shims
- Using the Standard User Analyzer
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course. If you are unsure please ask a training advisor .
M2272: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows XP Professional
A 5-day Training Course on M2272: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Relevant to all MCSA & MCSE certification tracks
M2273: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows 2003 Environment
A 5-day Training Course on M2273: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows 2003 Environment; For current or future or systems administrators/engineers.