Junos Service Provider Switching
Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This two-day course is designed to provide students with intermediate switching knowledge and configuration examples. The course includes an overview of switching concepts such as LANs, Layer 2 address learning, bridging, virtual LANs (VLANs), provider bridging, VLAN translation, spanning-tree protocols, and Ethernet Operation, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM). This course also covers Junos operating system-specific implementations of integrated routing and bridging (IRB) interfaces, routing instances, virtual switches, load balancing, and port mirroring. Furthermore, this course covers the basics of Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP), link aggregation groups (LAGs), and multichassis LAG (MC-LAG). This course uses MX Series 3D Ethernet Universal Edge Routers for the hands-on component. This course is based on the Junos OS Release 17.1R1.8.
Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos OS and device operations. Junos Service Provider Switching (JSPX) is an intermediate-level course.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe carrier Ethernet.
- Describe the different Ethernet standards organizations.
- Describe the Layer 2 services that are available on the MX Series 3D Ethernet Universal Edge Routers.
- Describe the function of an Ethernet LAN.
- Describe learning and forwarding in a bridging environment.
- Describe Ethernet frame filtering.
- Implement VLAN tagging.
- Describe and implement MVRP.
- Implement IRB.
- Implement a Layer 2 firewall filter.
- Describe the usage of a routing instance.
- Describe the function of a virtual router.
- Describe the function of a virtual switch.
- Describe the usage of logical systems.
- Implement a virtual switch.
- Describe interconnecting routing instances.
- Describe the different Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) VLAN stacking models.
- Describe the components of provider bridging.
- Configure and monitor provider bridging.
- Explain the purpose of the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).
- Describe the basic operation of the STP, the Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), the Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP), and the VLAN Spanning Tree Protocol (VSTP).
- Configure and monitor the STP, the RSTP, the MSTP, and the VSTP.
- Explain the purpose of bridge protocol data unit (BPDU), loop, and root protection.
- Explain typical OAM features.
- Describe the basic operation of link fault management (LFM).
- Describe the basic operation of connectivity fault management (CFM).
- Configure and monitor Ethernet OAM.
- Describe the basic operation of Ethernet Ring Protection (ERP).
- Configure and monitor ERP.
- Describe the basic operation of LAGs and MC-LAGs.
- Configure and monitor a LAG and MC-LAGs.
- Describe the basic functionality of MX Series Virtual Chassis.
- Describe a basic troubleshooting method.
- List common issues that disrupt network operations.
- Identify tools used in network troubleshooting.
- Use available tools to resolve network issues.
This course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring devices running the Junos OS.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Ethernet Switching and Virtual LANs (8 topics)
- Ethernet LANs
- Configuring and Monitoring VLANs
- Automating VLAN Administration
- Configuring and Monitoring IRB
- Layer 2 Address Learning and Forwarding
- Layer 2 Firewall Filtering
- Lab 1: Ethernet Switching and VLANs
Virtual Switches (5 topics)
- Routing Instances Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring Virtual Switches
- Interconnecting Routing Instances
- Logical Systems
- Lab 2: Virtual Switches
Provider Bridging (4 topics)
- Expanding the Bridged Network
- Provider Bridging
- Configuring and Monitoring Provider Bridging
- Lab 3: Provider Bridging
Spanning-Tree Protocols (7 topics)
- Overview of STP
- Overview of RSTP
- Overview of MSTP
- Overview of VSTP
- Configuring and Monitoring Spanning-Tree Protocols
- Understanding BPDU, Loop, and Root Protection
- Lab 4: MSTP
Ethernet OAM (5 topics)
- OAM Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring Ethernet OAM
- Lab 5: Ethernet OAM
High Availability and Network Optimization (7 topics)
- ERP Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring ERP
- Link Aggregation Group Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring a LAG
- MC-LAG Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring an MC-LAG
- Lab 6: High Availability and Network Optimization
Troubleshooting and Monitoring (4 topics)
- Introduction to Troubleshooting and Monitoring
- Troubleshooting and Monitoring Tools
- Troubleshooting Case Study: Network Congestion
- Lab 7: Troubleshooting and Monitoring
Appendix A: Carrier Ethernet (3 topics)
- Ethernet in the WAN
- Ethernet Standards Organizations
- MX Series Layer 2 Features
Appendix B: Deprecated Syntaxes
Appendix C: MX Series Overview
Students should have basic networking knowledge and an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model and the TCP/IP protocol suite. Students should also attend the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) course and the Junos Intermediate Routing (JIR) courseprior to attending this class.
- IJOS - Introduction to the Junos Operating System
- JIR - Junos Intermediate Routing
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course.
Introduction to the JUNOS Operating System
This 3-day course provides a technical overview of the JUNOS Operating System.
JUNOS Intermediate Routing
This 2-day JUNOS Intermediate Routing course provides delegates with intermediate routing knowledge and configuration examples.Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.