CREST Practitioner Intrusion Analyst
Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
Delegates are provided with a Pearson Vue exam voucher for the CPIA examination as part of the course fee. This course prepares the student for a career in Incident Response and provides all of the tools and teaches the techniques needed by a practicing professional. This is the first cross discipline course of its' kind that covers the essential knowledge and skills needed for intrusion detection, incident handling, computer/network forensics and malware reverse engineering.
This course raises the bar and sets a new security baseline for aspiring Intrusion Analysis and Digital Forensics professionals. Every team member should take this course before embarking upon their very own, more specialised, career path.
You will learn how to detect an attack, how to handle it, how to trace and acquire the evidence, investigate, analyse and re-construct the incident. We then lay the groundwork for malware analysis by presenting the key tools and techniques malware analysts use to examine malicious programs. Quizzes and tests throughout, with feedback, re-enforce the knowledge and prepare you for the CPIA multiple choice exam.
Following this course a student may challenge the CREST core skills exam resulting in the CREST Practitioner Intrusion Analyst (CPIA) professional qualification, which is a pre-requisite for the CREST Registered Intrusion Analyst (CRIA) professional qualification. The CRIA exam can be challenged later, once more experience has been gained in real life scenarios.
The course consists of six modules:
Module 1 – Soft Skills and Incident Handling
Module 2 – Core Technical Skills
Module 3 – Background Information Gathering & Open Source
Module 4 – Network Intrusion Analysis
Module 5 – Analysing Host Intrusions
Module 6 – Reverse Engineering Malware
Module 7 – CPIA exam preparation, CPIA mock exam
Continual assessment, with topic quizzes and module tests, ensure that you understand the knowledge and learn the skills delivered in each module.
- Aspiring information security personnel who wish to be part of an incident response team
- Existing practitioners wishing to become CREST Registered
- System administrators who are responding to attacks
- Incident handlers who wish to expand their knowledge into Digital Forensics
- Government departments who wish to raise and baseline skills across all security teams
- Law enforcement officers or detectives who want to expand their investigative skills
- Information security managers who would like to brush up on the latest techniques and processes in order to understand information security implications
- Anyone meeting the pre-requisites who is considering a career in Intrusion Analysis or Digital Forensics
EXAM - Booked directly via CREST
The CREST Practitioner Intrusion Analyst (CPIA) examination is an entry level qualification that tests a candidate’s knowledge in all three subject areas of network intrusion, host intrusion and malware reverse engineering at a basic level below that of the main
Registered and Certified qualifications.
Success will confer the CREST Practitioner status to the individual. This qualification is a prerequisite for the CREST Registered Intrusion Analyst (CRIA) examination and comprises a multiple choice written only examination.
CREST Accredited Training
CREST has assessed and accredited this training course confirming alignment with 100% of the CREST CPIA exam syllabus.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Soft Skills and Incident Handling (5 topics)
- Engagement Lifecycle Management
- Incident Chronology
- Law & Compliance
- Record Keeping, Interim Reporting & Final Results
- Threat Assessment
Core Technical Skills (11 topics)
- IP Protocols
- Network Architectures
- Common Classes of Tools
- OS Fingerprinting
- Application Fingerprinting
- Network Access Control Analysis
- Applications of Cryptography
- File System Permissions
- Host Analysis Techniques
- Understanding Common Data Formats
Background Information Gathering & Open Source (5 topics)
- Registration Records
- Domain Name Server (DNS)
- Open Source Investigation and Web Enumeration
- Extraction of Document Meta Data
- Community Knowledge
Network Intrusion Analysis (12 topics)
- Network Traffic Capture
- Data Sources and Network Log Sources
- Network Configuration Security Issues
- Unusual Protocol Behaviour
- Command and Control Channels
- Exfiltration of Data
- Incoming Attacks
- Internal Spread and Privilege Escalation
- False Positive Acknowledgement
Analysing Host Intrusions (13 topics)
- Host-Based Data Acquisition
- Live Analysis Laboratory Set-up
- Windows File System Essentials
- Windows File Structures
- Application File Structures
- Windows Registry Essentials
- Identifying Suspect Files
- Storage Media
- Memory Analysis
- Infection Vectors
- Malware Behaviours and Anti-Forensics
- Rootkit Identification
- Live Malware Analysis
Reverse Engineering Malware (12 topics)
- Windows Anti-Reverse Engineering
- Functionality Identification
- Windows NT Architecture
- Windows API Development
- Binary code structure
- Cryptographic Techniques
- Processor Architectures
- Windows Executable File Formats
- Hiding Techniques
- Malware Reporting
- Binary Obfuscation
- Behavioural Analysis
CPIA Exam Preparation & Mock Exam (2 topics)
- CPIA- Examination Guidance
- CPIA- Mock Examination
A good appreciation of the technical aspects of ICT and one year’s experience in network / server technical administration / operations. QACYSEC – Cyber Security Bootcamp is recommended.A good appreciation of the technical aspects of ICT and one year’s experience in network / server technical administration / operations. QACYSEC – Cyber Security Bootcamp is recommended.A good appreciation of the technical aspects of ICT and one year’s experience in network / server technical administration / operations. QACYSEC – Cyber Security Bootcamp is recommended.A good appreciation of the technical aspects of ICT and one year’s experience in network / server technical administration / operations. QACYSEC – Cyber Security Bootcamp is recommended.A good appreciation of the technical aspects of ICT and one year’s experience in network / server technical administration / operations. QAFCCS and or CISMP is recommended.
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course.
Cyber Security Essentials Bootcamp
This 5-day course teaches the effective steps to prevent, detect and respond to cyber incidents.Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
Virtual Classroom (Virtual On-Line)
Virtual Classroom (Virtual On-Line)