M10991: Troubleshooting Windows Server 2016 Core Technologies
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This course covers a wide variety of troubleshooting scenarios that a network administrator might encounter in their work. A high percentage of this course is labs that require students to identify problems and implement a solution that might include multiple technologies. Students will learn about common errors and resolutions related to Windows Server core technologies including: Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), storage, certificates, Microsoft Hyper-V, load balancing, and failover clustering. Authentication to Office 365 is also covered. Some advanced services such as Microsoft Azure integration, containers, advanced security features such as shielded virtual machines etc., and Linux Integration and support are not covered.
After completing this course students will be able to:
- Understand the common steps in the troubleshooting process, and the commonly used troubleshooting tools. Utilize remote administration tools and how to troubleshoot Windows PowerShell commands and script.
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues by using Windows Server 2016 tools.
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues by using Microsoft Message Analyzer. Troubleshoot IPv4 and IPv6 settings, network communication, the configuration of DHCP and client name resolution.
- Troubleshoot authentication issues, including user and computer authentication issues and AD DS replication issues.
- Troubleshoot authentication to Office 365.
- Troubleshoot issues related to application access.
- Troubleshoot issues related to accessing web-based applications.
- Troubleshoot issues related to file access.
- Manage and troubleshoot BitLocker.
- Troubleshoot issues related to server storage.
- Troubleshoot and optimize DFS namespaces and replication.
- Troubleshoot advanced file services.
- Troubleshoot issues related to Group Policy.
- Troubleshoot a Group Policy application.
- Troubleshoot issues related to AD DS.
- Explain control management of AD DS objects and how to backup and restore AD DS objects.
- Troubleshoot issues related to domain controllers and trust relationships between domains and forests.
- Troubleshoot remote access to data and apps.
- Describe remote access options for apps, and how to troubleshoot Remote Desktop Services.
- Troubleshoot issues related to virtualization.
- Troubleshoot high availability.
- Troubleshoot failover clustering and Hyper-V clustering
This course is intended for IT professionals who are experienced Windows Server administrators and want to expand their troubleshooting skills. Students should be experienced with day-to-day administration of Windows Server. These students may or may not have Windows Server 2016–specific training.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Implement a troubleshooting methodology (12 topics)
- Overview of the troubleshooting process
- Overview of troubleshooting tools
- Use remote administration tools
- Troubleshoot Windows PowerShell commands and scripts
- Lab: Implement a troubleshooting methodology
- Implement a troubleshooting methodology
- Lab: Use troubleshooting tools
- Use troubleshooting tools
- Lab: Troubleshoot a remote server computer
- Use remote tools to administer a remote server
- Lab: Troubleshoot a script
- Troubleshoot a script
Troubleshoot network connectivity (14 topics)
- Troubleshooting with Message Analyzer
- Troubleshooting IP settings
- Troubleshoot network connectivity
- Troubleshooting DHCP
- Troubleshooting client name resolution
- Lab: Resolve network connectivity issues
- Resolve a network problem
- Lab: Troubleshoot DHCP
- Resolve DHCP issues
- Install and configure the DHCP server role
- Configure DHCP failover
- Lab: Resolve name resolution issues
- Resolve a name resolution issue (1)
- Resolve a name resolution issue (2)
Troubleshoot authentication issues (8 topics)
- Troubleshoot user and computer account authentication
- Troubleshoot AD DS replication issues
- Troubleshoot authentication to Office 365
- Lab: Resolve sign-in problems
- Resolve a sign-in problem (1)
- Resolve a sign-in problem (2)
- Lab: Resolve sign-in problems at branch offices
- Resolve sign-in problems at branch offices
Troubleshoot application access issues (7 topics)
- Troubleshooting access to Windows Server apps
- Troubleshooting issues with certificates
- Troubleshooting access to web-based apps
- Lab: Troubleshoot application access issues
- Troubleshoot application startup
- Troubleshoot application security warnings
- Troubleshoot application authentication
Troubleshoot file access issues (7 topics)
- Troubleshooting access to files and folders
- Manage and troubleshoot BitLocker
- Lab: Troubleshooting file access
- Troubleshoot file access (1)
- Troubleshoot file access (2)
- Lab: Test BitLocker on a Windows 2016 Server
- Test BitLocker on Windows Server 2016
Troubleshoot storage issues (7 topics)
- Troubleshooting server storage issues
- Troubleshoot DFS
- Troubleshoot advanced file services
- Lab: Troubleshooting server storage issues
- Repair data redundancy
- Troubleshoot file replication
- Troubleshoot Dynamic Access Control
Troubleshoot Group Policy (6 topics)
- Group Policy overview
- Troubleshoot Group Policy application
- Lab: Troubleshooting GPO application
- Troubleshoot GPOs (1)
- Troubleshoot GPOs (2)
- Troubleshoot GPOs (3)
Troubleshooting AD DS (15 topics)
- Overview of AD DS administration tools
- Control AD DS administration
- Backup and restore AD DS objects
- Troubleshoot issues related to domain controllers
- Troubleshoot AD DS trusts
- Lab: Deploy LAPS
- Troubleshoot local administrator password configuration
- Install and configure LAPS
- Deploy and test LAPS
- Lab: Recover AD DS objects
- Recover missing user accounts
- Lab: Resolve common AD DS problems
- Restore the Toronto AD DS site
- Restore the TOR-DC1 and FSMO roles
- Restore the Adatum Contoso forest trust
Troubleshoot remote access to data and apps (7 topics)
- Troubleshoot VPN connectivity
- Overview of remote access for apps
- Troubleshoot Remote Desktop Services
- Lab: Troubleshoot remote access to data and apps
- Resolve common remote access problems
- Troubleshoot VPN connectivity
- Troubleshoot access to a RemoteApp program
Troubleshoot visualization issues (8 topics)
- Issues with VM configuration
- Troubleshoot VM resources
- Lab: Troubleshooting Hyper-V
- Troubleshoot replication
- Troubleshoot PowerShell Direct access
- Troubleshoot Hyper-V networking
- Troubleshoot Hyper-V VM storage
- Troubleshoot VM startup
Troubleshooting high availability (7 topics)
- Considerations for implementing load balancing
- Troubleshooting failover clustering
- Troubleshooting Hyper-V clusters
- Lab: Troubleshooting high availability
- Troubleshooting high availability for a virtual machine
- Troubleshooting storage for high availability
- Troubleshooting a failover cluster
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Networking fundamentals, including IPv4 and Domain Name System (DNS)
- Principles and management of AD DS
- Basic understanding of public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Windows PowerShell basics
- Load balancing
- Failover clustering
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by attending the following courses, or obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills:
- 20740C: Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016
- 20741D: Networking with Windows Server 2016
- 20742B: Identity with Windows Server 2016
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course.
M20740: Installation, Storage and Compute with Windows Server 2016
This 5-day course provides the skills required for managing storage and compute technologies in Windows Server 2016.
M20742: Identity with Windows Server 2016
This 5-day course provides the skills required to deploy and configure Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) in Server 2016.
M20741: Networking with Windows Server 2016
This 5-day course provides the networking skills required to deploy and support Windows Server 2016.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.