Managing Technical Teams
Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
Is managing a technical team the same as managing all teams? No, not always. There are nuances specific to the environment, people and pace that affect what is expected of you when managing a technical team.
Common concerns we hear from those who attend this course include:
- How will I separate being a manager from being an expert?
- How will I get the best out of individuals and produce a high performing technical team?
- How could over-using my strengths derail me as a manager?
- How do I merge my technical and managerial skills for the greatest impact?
This workshop is based around original research about the most frequent challenges encountered by Technical Team managers, including what Tech team members need from their managers, for example:
- Meeting the challenges of stepping up into a management role from a tech/specialist background
- Flexing your management style to avoid micro-management and delegate more
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Understanding and working effectively with the mind-set of technical team members
It’s also a great introduction to the more general challenges of management and leadership, supporting you wherever your career make take you.
This workshop uses powerful ideas and activities to develop your management and leadership skills, helping you get the best from your technical team. You’ll also have the opportunity to share ideas and experience with technical team managers from a range of other organisations. It’s divided into 3 day and 2 day sessions to manage your time away from work and to allow you more time to put your learning into practice.
You will learn how to:
- Demonstrate what effective management and leadership look, sound and feel like
- Recognise and overcome likely challenges you will face as a technical team manager
- Discover what engages and motivates you and your team members, getting the best out of each individual
- Handle conflict on the team more effectively
- Develop a flexible management style that helps your team develop, empowers others and avoids micromanagement
- Delegate more effectively to motivate, empower and drive development
- Build trust and effective team working
- Tackle difficult conversations effectively while maintaining relationships
- Set clear objectives and manage by outcomes
This course is aimed at those who lead and manage technical teams in all type of organisations.
This course is run over 5 days, sometimes split 3 days in one week followed by 2 days the week after.
Day 1 (3 topics)
- Introductions and welcome
- Leadership versus management
- Strength Deployment Inventory® - Motivational Value Systems™
Day 2 (5 topics)
- Stages of team development
- Belbin Team Roles®
- Building trust
- Case study
Day 3 (4 topics)
- The 5 dysfunctions of a team
- Strength Deployment Inventory® - Conflict Sequences™
Day 4 (6 topics)
- Discussion on pre-course reading
- Flexing your leadership style
- Case study
- Successful delegation
- Goal and objective setting
Day 5 (5 topics)
- A 5 step process for positive conversations
- Delivering effective feedback
- Case study
- Action planning for putting learning into practice
You’ll be asked to complete an online Belbin Team Roles® assessment and to capture your thoughts on being a technical team manager prior to attending the workshop.
You’ll also be provided with reading around managing technical teams to complete between the first and second parts of the workshop.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.