Essential Consulting Skills
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Personal Skills Training Courses.
Setting the Scene (4 topics)
- Clarifying the consulting environment
- Activities carried out by consultants
- The attributes needed for effective consultancy
- Personal assessment: A questionnaire to determine your communication style
Building and Managing Relationships (7 topics)
- The importance of building and maintaining rapport
- Impact management: Using 'The 3Vs' - Visual, Vocal and Verbal assertiveness
- Relationship management: Identifying sponsors, 'friends' and 'foes'
- Using assertive behaviours to influence
- Understanding the difference between assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
- Identifying customers personality styles using Transactional Analysis
- Understanding and using the four 'working styles' behaviour to build relationships and influence effectively
Situation Analysis (5 topics)
- The 6 Essential Communication Skills (Engaging, Listening, Confirming, Questioning, Offering, Observing)
- Using 'Gap Analysis' to fully understand customers needs
- Creative thinking techniques including mind mapping and fishbone analysis to solve problems and make effective decisions
- Identifying and creating the customer's 'problem statement'
- Using effective decision making and problem solving techniques to manage costs, profitability and performance
Presenting Solutions (4 topics)
- The art of effective negotiations
- Understanding the difference between product features and benefits
- Dealing with customer's reservations, concerns and objections
- Effective presentation skills
Summary and Conclusion (4 topics)
- Ensuring that you leave the customer feeling satisfied
- Agreeing follow up actions and activities
- Determining personal learning points
- Creating your personal action plan
Anyone who works as an internal or external consultant or senior business analyst. Anyone who works as a coach to a consulting team. Anyone who manages a consulting team.