BCS Professional Certificate in Data Analysis
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This course is intended to enable business analysts to define data requirements with detailed understanding of what is required and a rigorous approach.
The course will provide business analysts with knowledge and understanding of data analysis activities and techniques designed to elicit and analyse data requirements and inherent business rules and how to define the structure of the data to meet business needs.
Key areas of the course include:
- Building and understanding two types of data models - Entity Relationship Diagrams and Class Models
- Normalisation of data and why this is a useful approach
- Validation of data requirements
- Examination on the afternoon of day 2
Please do note that the course timetable is designed to include coverage of new content up to around mid-afternoon on day 2. Delegates should be prepared to spend around 1 -2 hours in the evening on homework and revision activities. This may include activities set by the instructor as appropriate.
- Define data analysis as a tool for a business analyst
- Explain the purpose of data analysis and modelling
- Identify the components of different data modelling techniques
- Interpret a data model
- State business rules within data analysis artefacts
- Define the process and rules used to derive third normal form
- Evaluate data sets against normalisation rules
This certification is relevant for anyone wishing to gain an understanding of data analysis and techniques that maybe be applied when analysing business data. It is likely to be of benefit to business analysts, systems analysts and technical architects and solution architects. Project managers working on data-oriented projects may also find it a useful certification
Note that if you are intending to work towards the BCS Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis then you must already have the International Diploma in Business Analysis.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Data analysis for business analysts (3 topics)
- The context of data and importance to the organisation
- Application of data analysis
- Data analysis and business analysis
Principles of data analysis (2 topics)
- The rationale for modelling data
- Techniques for data analysis : Entity relationship modelling, Class diagrams, Data normalisation
Modelling data (4 topics)
- Grouping data through entities and classes
- Values of data (attributes)
- Relationships/associations between data items
- Business rules governing data relationships (multiplicity etc.)
Normalisation of data (3 topics)
- Rules for reaching third normal form
- Drawing models using third normal form
- Identifying keys
Validating the data model (3 topics)
- Cross referencing
- Data navigation paths
This 2-day specialist course leads to the BCS Professional Certificate in Data Analysis.
An understanding of projects would be useful but is not essential.
Prerequisites for including this course as part of the Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis:
This course is one of the 4 BCS professional certificates offered by QA which can be combined and lead to the Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis.
If you are planning to work towards obtaining the Advanced Diploma then you must already hold the BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis and provide further evidential criteria, see below for details.
If you are taking a BCS exam you must bring photographic identification with you (passport, driving license or student card), as it is a BCS requirement to produce it for the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce a valid form of photographic identification will result in a candidate not being able to sit the exam. For any questions about what form of identification is acceptable please contact your Account Manager.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
|Later scheduled dates may be available for this course.|