M55202: PowerShell 5.0 and Desired State Configuration
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This course is designed to get you up and running with Desired State Configuration (DSC). PowerShell DSC was introduced in version 4 and has been greatly expanded and enhanced in version 5. DSC goes hand-in-glove with implementation of DevOps the revolutionary methodology to join the development and operations teams. Now you can “declare” your desired environment and the DSC structure will “make it so” and keep it so!
This course can also be sat as a combined event with M10962 'Advanced Automated Administration with Windows PowerShell' via course QAMSPOWSH 'Advanced Automated Administration with Windows PowerShell, PowerShell 5.0 and Desired State Configuration'
- Understand Desired State Configuration.
- Understand that PowerShell handles both imperative and declarative language.
- Understand DSC requirements.
- Understand features added to version 4 of PowerShell.
- Understand features added to version 5 of PowerShell.
- Understand and execute updating the Help System.
- Understand management models.
- Understand and utilize MOF file creation workflow.
- Understand methodologies of configuration data.
- Understand functions and cmdlets available for DSC with WMF 5.0.
- Understand the basics of a DSC Pull Server.
- Understand how to get the parameters working for IntelliSense.
- Understand how to define a DSC configuration script.
- Understand how to utilize resources.
- Understand and utilize the Configuration keyword.
- Understand node filtering.
- Understand and utilize the DSC File Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Archive Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Environment Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Group Resource.
- Understand and enable the Analytic Log.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Log Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Registry Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Script Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC Service Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC User Resource.
- Understand and utilize the DSC WindowsFeature Resource.
- Understand and utilize parameters.
- Understand both Push and Pull modes.
- Understand and utilize the LCM.
- Understand placing configurations and resources for distribution.
- Understand configuration drift.
- Understand and utilize the debugging feature.
- Understand how to utilize PowerShell.
- Understand and utilize the pipeline.
- Understand and utilize loops.
- Understand and utilize scripting.
- Understand and utilize functions.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Course Overview (6 topics)
- Course Materials
- What We'll Be Discussing
- Lab: Course Overview
PowerShell 5.0 Desired State Configuration Introduction (9 topics)
- Understanding Desired State Configuration
- Understanding DSC Metaphor
- PowerShell is Imperative, or Declarative, or Both?
- Exploring DSC from 30,000 Feet!
- Examining Why to Put Effort into DSC (Or Inspire Me Dude)?
- Understanding DSC Requirements
- Examining PowerShell Version 4: DSC Features Added
- Exploring PowerShell Version 5: DSC Improvements
- Lab: PowerShell 5.0 Desired State Configuration Introduction
DSC Architecture (8 topics)
- Taking a Preliminary Look
- Updating the Help System
- Exploring Management Models
- Reviewing the MOF File Creation Workflow
- Examining Methodologies of Configuration Data
- Exploring Functions and Cmdlets Available for DSC with WMF 5.0
- Understanding DSC Pull Server
- Lab: DSC Architecture
DSC Configuration Files (8 topics)
- Preparing the Environment
- Defining a DSC Configuration Script
- Configuration Keyword
- Lab: DSC Configuration Files
- Getting IntelliSense for the Parameters Working
- Using Resources
- Examine Node Filtering
- Expand Filtering in Your Configuration File
DSC Resources (13 topics)
- Examining File Resource
- Exploring Archive Resource
- Examining Environment Resource
- Exploring Group Resource
- Examining Log Resource
- Understanding Package Resource
- Examining Registry Resource
- Exploring Script Resource
- Examining Service Resource
- Exploring User Resource
- Examining WindowsFeature Resource
- Understanding PsDscRunAsCredential
- Lab: DSC Resources
DSC Pull and Push Servers (8 topics)
- Discussing Parameters
- Examining a Push Mode Example
- Exploring the Pull Mode
- Reviewing the Local Configuration Manager (LCM)
- Placing Configurations and Resources for Distribution by the Pull Server
- Discussing Configuration Drift
- Debugging DSC in Version 5
- Lab: DSC Pull and Push Servers
Appendix: PowerShell 5.0 Basics (6 topics)
- Introduction to PowerShell
- Utilizing PowerShell
- The Pipeline
- Processing Data with Loops
- Scripting and Functions
- Lab: Appendix: PowerShell 5.0 Basics
The students are expected to understand the basics of PowerShell.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.