M20695: Deploying Windows Devices and Enterprise Apps
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This five-day course describes how to assess operating system and application deployment options, determine the most appropriate deployment strategy, and then implement a deployment solution for Windows devices and apps that meets your environment’s needs. Solutions that this course details include operating system deployment scenarios ranging from high-touch solutions to zero-touch solutions. It also discusses the technologies that you use to implement these solutions, including the MDT and Configuration Manager.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Assess the network environment to support operating system and application deployment tasks.
- Identify the most appropriate operating system deployment strategy based upon organizational requirements.
- Assess application compatibility issues and identify mitigation solutions to ensure that applications function successfully after an operating system deployment.
- Describe and configure strategies to migrate user state during operating system deployments.
- Determine the most appropriate image management strategy to support operating system and application deployments.
- Describe and use the tools provided in the Windows ADK to prepare for and support automated deployment strategies.
- Identify solutions to support PXE-initiated and multicast solutions when performing operating system deployment tasks.
- Configure an operating system deployment strategy by using the MDT.
- Configure an operating system deployment strategy using Configuration Manager.
- Integrate the MDT with Configuration Manager to support operating system deployment procedures.
- Implement volume license activation and configuration settings for client computers.
- Customize and deploy Microsoft Office 2016 to an enterprise network environment, and describe how to use the Windows ICD.
This five-day course is for IT professionals who deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and apps across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. Typically, this course’s audience has a desktop-support background, and have worked as Enterprise Desktop Administrators. A significant portion of this audience uses or intends to use Configuration Manager to manage and deploy PCs, devices, and enterprise applications. The Enterprise Desktop Administrator also might use several tools, including the Windows ADK and the MDT to support assessment, operating system, and application deployment tasks. Additionally, this course is for individuals who are interested in taking the MCSE exam 70-695: Deploying Windows Desktops and Enterprise Applications.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Assessing the network environment for supporting operating system and application deployment (6 topics)
- Overview of the enterprise desktop life cycle
- Assessing readiness for a desktop deployment by using Configuration Manager
- Assessing deployment readiness by using MAP
- Lab: Assessing the network environment for supporting operating system and application deployment
- Collecting hardware and application inventory by using Configuration Manager
- Using MAP to determine infrastructure readiness
Determining operating system deployment strategies (11 topics)
- Understanding tools and strategies you can use for operating system deployment
- Using the High Touch with Retail Media deployment strategy
- Using the High Touch with a Standard Image deployment strategy
- Using a lite touch deployment strategy
- Using a zero touch deployment strategy
- Alternative deployment strategies for Windows desktops
- Lab: Determining operating system deployment strategies
- Identifying operating system deployment strategies for a small network
- Identifying operating system deployment strategies for a medium-sized network
- Identifying operating system deployment strategies for an enterprise network
- Installing the Windows ADK
Assessing application compatibility (6 topics)
- Diagnosing application compatibility issues
- Mitigating application compatibility issues
- Using ACT to address application compatibility issues
- Lab: Assessing application compatibility
- Analyzing applications for potential compatibility issues
- Mitigating application compatibility issues
Planning and implementing user state migration (8 topics)
- Overview of user state migration
- Overview of USMT 10.0
- Planning user state migration
- Migrating user state by using USMT
- Lab: Planning and implementing user state migration
- Planning for user state migration
- Creating and customizing USMT XML files
- Capturing and restoring a user state by using the USMT
Determining an image management strategy (4 topics)
- Overview of the Windows image file format
- Overview of image management
- Lab: Determining an image management strategy
- Assessing business requirements to support an image management strategy
Preparing for deployments by using the Windows ADK (16 topics)
- Overview of the Windows setup and installation process
- Preparing boot images by using Windows PE
- Using Windows SIM and Sysprep to automate and prepare an image installation
- Capturing and servicing a reference image using DISM
- Using the Windows ICD
- Lab: Preparing the imaging and Windows PE environment
- Configuring a custom Windows PE environment
- Lab: Building a reference image by using Windows SIM and Sysprep
- Building custom answer files by using Windows SIM
- Installing a reference computer by using a custom answer file
- Customizing your image in audit mode, and preserving the profile changes by using Sysprep
- Lab: Capturing and servicing a reference image
- Capturing a reference system image
- Lab: Using the Windows ICD
- Create a provisioning package
- Create a Windows 10 deployment package
Supporting PXE-initiated and multicast operating system deployments (5 topics)
- Overview of PXE-initiated and multicast operating system deployments
- Installing and configuring the Windows DS environment
- Lab: Configuring Windows DS to support PXE and multicast operating system deployments
- Planning the Windows DS environment
- Installing and configuring the Windows DS server role
Implementing operating system deployment by using the MDT (8 topics)
- Planning for the MDT environment
- Implementing MDT 2013 Update 2
- Integrating Windows DS with MDT
- Lab: Operating system deployment using the MDT
- Planning for the MDT environment
- Installing MDT 2013 Update 2, and addressing MDT prerequisites
- Creating and configuring the deployment share
- Deploying and capturing a reference operating system image
Managing operating system deployment (10 topics)
- Overview of operating system deployment
- Preparing a site for operating system deployment
- Deploying an operating system
- Lab: Preparing the site for operating system deployment
- Managing the site system roles used to support operating system deployment
- Managing packages to support operating system deployment
- Lab: Deploying operating system images for bare-metal installations
- Preparing the operating system image
- Creating a task sequence to deploy an image
- Deploying an image
Integrating MDT and Configuration Manager for operating system deployment (9 topics)
- Integrating deployment tools with Configuration Manager
- Integrating MDT with Configuration Manager
- Lab: Integrating MDT and Configuration Manager for operating system deployment
- Integrating MDT and Configuration Manager
- Creating an MDT boot image
- Creating and deploying an MDT task sequence by using Configuration Manager
- Lab: Configuring UDI
- Creating a UDI task sequence
- Deploying Windows 10 by using a UDI task sequence
Activating clients and managing additional configuration settings (6 topics)
- Solutions for volume license activation
- Determining additional client configuration settings
- Lab: Configuring additional settings for computer clients
- Planning for Windows 10 customization
- Creating a common Windows Start menu and custom power plan
- Creating a client preferences GPO
Deploying Office 2016 (9 topics)
- Methods for deploying Microsoft Office 2016 editions
- Customizing Office deployments
- Deploy Office 2016 by using Office 365
- Managing Office settings
- Introducing Windows Store for Business
- Distributing apps by using Windows Store for Business
- Lab: Deploying Microsoft Office 2016 by using the Office Customization Tool
- Using the Microsoft Office Customization Tool (OCT) to customize a Microsoft Office 2016 deploymen
- Deploying a customized version of Office 2016
Before attending this course, students must have:
- System administrator–level working knowledge of:
- Networking fundamentals, including common networking protocols, topologies, hardware, media, routing, switching, and addressing.
- Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers.
- Basic concepts of Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) security.
- Basic understanding of scripting and Windows PowerShell syntax.
- Basic understanding of Windows Server roles and services.
- Basic understanding of the management tasks that you can perform by using Configuration Manager.