M20744: Securing Windows Server 2016
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This five-day, instructor-led course teaches IT professionals how they can enhance the security of the IT infrastructure that they administer. This course begins by emphasizing the importance of assuming that network breaches have occurred already, and then teaches you how to protect administrative credentials and rights to ensure that administrators can perform only the tasks that they need to, when they need to.
This course also details how you can mitigate malware threats, identify security issues by using auditing and the Advanced Threat Analysis feature in Windows Server 2016, secure your virtualization platform, and use new deployment options, such as Nano server and containers to enhance security. The course also explains how you can help protect access to files by using encryption and dynamic access control, and how you can enhance your network’s security.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Secure Windows Server.
- Secure application development and a server workload infrastructure.
- Manage security baselines.
- Configure and manage just enough and just-in-time (JIT) administration.
- Manage data security.
- Configure Windows Firewall and a software-defined distributed firewall.
- Secure network traffic.
- Secure your virtualization infrastructure.
- Manage malware and threats.
- Configure advanced auditing.
- Manage software updates.
- Manage threats by using Advanced Threat Analytics (ATA) and Microsoft Operations Management Suite (OMS).
This course is for IT professionals who need to administer Windows Server 2016 networks securely. These professionals typically work with networks that are configured as Windows Server domain-based environments, with managed access to the Internet and cloud services.
Students who seek certification in the 70-744 Securing Windows server exam also will benefit from this course.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Breach detection and using the Sysinternals tools (6 topics)
- Overview of breach detection
- Using the Sysinternals tools to detect breaches
- Lab : Basic breach detection and incident response strategies
- Identifying attack types
- Using incident-response strategies
- Exploring the Sysinternals tools
Protecting credentials and privileged access (16 topics)
- Understanding user rights
- Computer and service accounts
- Protecting credentials
- Understanding privileged-access workstations and jump servers
- Deploying a local administrator-password solution
- Lab : User rights, security options, and group-managed service accounts
- Configuring security options
- Configuring restricted groups
- Delegating privileges
- Creating and managing group managed service accounts (MSAs)
- Configuring the Credential Guard feature
- Locating problematic accounts
- Lab : Configuring and deploying LAPs
- Installing local administrator password solution (LAPs)
- Configuring LAPs
- Deploying LAPs
Limiting administrator rights with Just Enough Administration (8 topics)
- Understanding JEA
- Configuring and deploying JEA
- Lab : Limiting administrator privileges by using JEA
- Creating a role-capability file
- Creating a session-configuration file
- Creating a JEA endpoint
- Connecting to a JEA endpoint
- Deploying JEA by using Desire State Configuration (DSC)
Privileged Access Management and administrative forests (9 topics)
- Understanding ESAE forests
- Overview of MIM
- Implementing JIT and Privileged Access Management by using MIM
- Lab : Limiting administrator privileges by using Privileged Access Management
- Using a layered approach to security
- Exploring MIM
- Configuring a MIM web portal
- Configuring the Privileged Access feature
- Requesting privileged access
Mitigating malware and threats (9 topics)
- Configuring and managing Windows Defender
- Using software restricting policies (SRPs) and AppLocker
- Configuring and using Device Guard
- Using and deploying the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit
- Lab : Securing applications by using AppLocker, Windows Defender, Device Guard Rules, and the EMET.
- Configuring Windows Defender
- Configuring AppLocker
- Configuring and deploying Device Guard
- Deploying and using EMET
Analysing activity by using advanced auditing and log analytics (8 topics)
- Overview of auditing
- Understanding advanced auditing
- Configuring Windows PowerShell auditing and logging
- Lab : Configuring encryption and advanced auditing
- Configuring auditing of file-system access
- Auditing domain logons
- Managing the configuration of advanced audit policies
- Windows PowerShell logging and auditing
Analysing activity with Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics feature and Operations Management Suite (6 topics)
- Overview of Advanced Threat Analytics
- Understanding OMS
- Lab : Advanced Threat Analytics and Operations Management Suite
- Using ATA and OMS
- Preparing and deploying ATA
- Preparing and deploying OMS
Securing your virtualization an infrastructure (5 topics)
- Overview of Guarded Fabric VMs
- Understanding shielded and encryption-supported VMs
- Lab : Deploying and using Guarded Fabric with administrator-trusted attestation and shielded VMs
- Deploying Guarded Fabric VMs with administrator-trusted attestation
- Deploying a shielded VM
Securing application development and server-workload infrastructure (10 topics)
- Using Security Compliance Manager
- Introduction to Nano Server
- Understanding containers
- Lab : Using Security Compliance Manager
- Configuring a security baseline for Windows Server 2016
- Deploying a security baseline for Windows Server 2016
- Lab : Deploying and Configuring Nano Server and containers
- Deploying, managing, and securing Nano Server
- Deploying, managing, and securing Windows Server containers
- Deploying, managing, and securing Hyper-V containers
Protecting data with encryption (5 topics)
- Planning and implementing encryption
- Planning and implementing BitLocker
- Lab : Configuring EFS and BitLocker
- Encrypting and recovering access to encrypted files
- Using BitLocker to protect data
Limiting access to file and folders (9 topics)
- Introduction to FSRM
- Implementing classification management and file-management tasks
- Understanding Dynamic Access Control (DAC)
- Lab : Configuring quotas and file screening
- Configuring FSRM quotas
- Configuring file screening
- Lab : Implementing DAC
- Preparing DAC
- Implementing DAC
Using firewalls to control network traffic flow (5 topics)
- Understanding Windows Firewall
- Software-defined distributed firewalls
- Lab : Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- Creating and testing inbound rules
- Creating and testing outbound rules
Securing network traffic (10 topics)
- Network-related security threats and connection-security rules
- Configuring advanced DNS settings
- Examining network traffic with Microsoft Message Analyzer
- Securing SMB traffic, and analysing SMB traffic
- Lab : Connection security rules and securing DNS
- Creating and testing connection security rules
- Configuring and testing DNSSEC
- Lab : Microsoft Message Analyzer and SMB encryption
- Using Microsoft Message Analyzer
- Configuring and verifying SMB encryption on SMB shares
Updating Windows Server (7 topics)
- Overview of WSUS
- Deploying updates by using WSUS
- Lab : Implementing update management
- Implementing the WSUS server role
- Configuring update settings
- Approving and deploying an update by using WSUS
- Deploying Windows Defender definition updates by using WSUS
Students should have at least two years of experience in the IT field and should have:
- Completed courses M20740, M20741, and M20742, or have equivalent knowledge.
- A solid, practical understanding of networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP, User Datagram Protocol (UDP), and Domain Name System (DNS).
- A solid, practical understanding of Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles.
- A solid, practical understanding of Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization fundamentals.
- An understanding of Windows Server security principles.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.