Administering System Center Configuration Manager
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This five-day course describes how to use Configuration Manager and its associated site systems to efficiently manage network resources. In this five-day course, you will learn day-to-day management tasks, including how to manage applications, client health, hardware and software inventory, operating system deployment, and software updates by using Configuration Manager. You also will learn how to optimize System Center Endpoint Protection, manage compliance, and create management queries and reports. Additionally, this course, in conjunction with Microsoft Official Course 20703-2A, helps certification candidates prepare for Exam 70-703: Administering System Center Configuration Manager and Cloud Services Integration.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the features Configuration Manager and Intune include, and explain how you can use these features to manage PCs and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
- Analyze data by using queries and reports.
- Prepare a management infrastructure, including configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and resource discovery, and integrating mobile-device management with Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Deploy and manage the Configuration Manager client.
- Configure, manage, and monitor hardware and software inventory, and use Asset Intelligence and software metering.
- Identify and configure the most appropriate method to distribute and manage content used for deployments.
- Distribute, deploy, and monitor applications for managed users and systems.
- Maintain software updates for PCs that Configuration Manager manages.
- Implement Endpoint Protection for managed PCs.
- Manage configuration items, baselines, and profiles to assess and configure compliance settings and data access for users and devices.
- Configure an operating-system deployment strategy by using Configuration Manager.
- Manage and maintain a Configuration Manager site.
This course is for experienced information technology (IT) professionals, typically described as Enterprise Desktop Administrators (EDAs). These EDAs deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and applications across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. A significant portion of this audience uses, or intends to use, the latest release of Configuration Manager to manage and deploy PCs, devices, and applications.
This course also is for individuals who are interested in taking Exam 70-703: Administering System Center Configuration Manager and Cloud Services Integration. Courses 20703-1A and 20703-2A, or equivalent knowledge and skills, are necessary to prepare for this exam.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Managing computers and mobile devices in the enterprise (14 topics)
- Overview of systems management by using enterprise management solutions
- Overview of the Configuration Manager architecture
- Overview of the Configuration Manager administrative tools
- Tools for monitoring and troubleshooting a Configuration Manager site
- Lab: Exploring the Configuration Manager tools
- Searching in the Configuration Manager console
- Using Windows PowerShell with Configuration Manager
- Using Configuration Manager Service Manager to manage components
- Monitoring site and component status
- Reviewing log files by using the Configuration Manager Trace tool
- Explain how to use Configuration Manager to address the challenges of managing systems and users in today's enterprise.
- Describe the Configuration Manager architecture.
- Describe the management tools that you use to perform administrative functions for Configuration Manager.
- Describe the tools that you use to monitor and troubleshoot a Configuration Manager site.
Analyzing data using queries and reports (11 topics)
- Introduction to queries
- Configuring Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Lab: Creating and running queriesConfiguring boundaries and resource discovery
- Creating data queries
- Creating subselect queries
- Creating status message queries
- Lab: Configuring SSRS
- Configuring a reporting services point
- Creating a report by using Report Builder
- Create and configure data and status message queries.
- Configure and manage SSRS and the reporting services point.
Preparing the management infrastructure to support PCs and mobile devices (15 topics)
- Configuring site boundaries and boundary groups
- Configuring resource discovery
- Configuring the Exchange Server Connector for mobile device management
- Configuring user and device collections
- Lab: Configuring boundaries and resource discovery
- Configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and fallback relationships
- Configuring Active Directory discovery methods
- Lab: Configuring user and device collections
- Creating a device collection
- Creating a user collection
- Configuring a maintenance window
- Configure boundaries and boundary groups.
- Configure resource discovery.
- Configure the Exchange Server connector mobile device management.
- Organize resources using device and user collections.
Deploying and managing clients (15 topics)
- Overview of the Configuration Manager client
- Deploying the Configuration Manager client
- Configuring and monitoring client status
- Managing client settings in Configuration Manager
- Lab: Deploying the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager client software
- Preparing the site for client installation
- Deploying the Configuration Manager client software by using client push installation
- Lab: Configuring and monitoring client status
- Configuring and monitoring client health status
- Lab: Managing client settings
- Configuring client settings
- Describe the requirements and considerations for installing the Configuration Manager client software.
- Deploy the Configuration Manager client software.
- Configure and monitor client status.
- Manage Configuration Manager client settings.
Managing inventory for PCs and applications (19 topics)
- Overview of inventory collection
- Configuring hardware and software inventory
- Managing inventory collection
- Configuring software metering
- Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
- Lab: Configuring and managing inventory collection
- Configuring and managing hardware inventory
- Lab: Configuring software metering
- Configuring software metering
- Lab: Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
- Preparing the site for Asset Intelligence
- Configuring Asset Intelligence
- Monitoring license agreements by using Asset Intelligence
- Viewing Asset Intelligence reports
- Describe inventory collection.
- Configure and collect hardware and software inventory.
- Manage inventory collection.
- Configure software metering.
- Configure Asset Intelligence.
Distributing and managing content used for deployments (7 topics)
- Preparing the infrastructure for content management
- Distributing and managing content on distribution points
- Lab: Distributing and managing content for deployments
- Installing a new distribution point
- Managing content distribution
- Prepare the infrastructure for content management.
- Distribute and manage content on distribution points.
Deploying and managing applications (26 topics)
- Overview of application management
- Creating applications
- Deploying applications
- Managing applications
- Deploying virtual applications by using System Center Configuration Manager (Optional)
- Deploying and managing Windows Store apps
- Lab: Creating and deploying applications
- Installing and configuring the Application Catalog roles
- Creating applications with requirements
- Deploying applications
- Lab: Managing application supersedence and removal
- Managing application supersedence
- Uninstalling the Excel Viewer application
- Lab: Deploying virtual applications by using Configuration Manager (Optional)
- Configuring support for App-V
- Deploying virtual applications
- Lab: Using Configuration Manager to deploy Windows Store apps
- Configuring support for sideloading Windows Store apps
- Configuring a Windows Store app
- Deploying Windows 10 apps to users
- Describe the application management features of Configuration Manager.
- Create applications.
- Deploy applications.
- Manage applications.
- Configure and deploy virtual applications.
- Configure and deploy Windows Store apps.
Maintaining software updates for managed PCs (16 topics)
- The software updates process
- Preparing a Configuration Manager site for software updates
- Managing software updates
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Monitoring and troubleshooting software updates
- Lab: Configuring the site for software updates
- Configuring and synchronizing the software update point
- Lab: Deploying and managing software updates
- Determining software update compliance
- Deploying software updates to clients
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Describe how the software updates feature integrates with Configuration Manager.
- Prepare the Configuration Manager site for software updates.
- Manage the evaluation and deployment of software updates.
- Configure automatic deployment rules.
- Monitor and troubleshoot software updates.
Implementing Endpoint Protection for managed PCs (8 topics)
- Overview of Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Configuring, deploying, and monitoring Endpoint Protection policies
- Lab: Implementing Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection
- Configuring the System Center Endpoint Protection point and client settings
- Configuring and deploying Endpoint Protection policies
- Monitoring Endpoint Protection
- Configure Endpoint Protection to detect and remediate malware and security vulnerabilities.
- Configure, deploy, and manage Endpoint Protection policies.
Managing compliance and secure data access (13 topics)
- Overview of Compliance Settings
- Configuring compliance settings
- Viewing compliance results
- Managing resource and data access
- Lab: Managing compliance settings
- Managing configuration items and baselines
- Viewing compliance settings and reports
- Configuring remediation in compliance settings
- Using compliance information to create collections
- Describe compliance settings features.
- Configure compliance settings.
- View compliance results.
- Manage resource and data access.
Managing operating system deployment (14 topics)
- An overview of operating system deployment
- Preparing a site for operating system deployment
- Deploying an operating system
- Managing Windows as a service
- Lab: Preparing thea site for operating -system deployment
- Managing the site system roles used to support operating system deployment
- Managing packages to support operating system deployment
- Lab: Deploying operating -system images for bare-metal installations
- Preparing the operating system image
- Creating a task sequence to deploy an image
- Deploying an image
- Describe the terminology, components, and scenarios used to deploy operating systems by using Configuration Manager.
- Describe how to prepare a site for operating system deployment.
- Describe the process used to deploy an operating system image.
- Networking fundamentals, including common networking protocols, topologies, hardware, media, routing, switching, and addressing.
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers.
- Basic concepts of public key infrastructure (PKI) security.
- Basic understanding of scripting and Windows PowerShell syntax.
- Basic understanding of Windows Server roles and services.
- Basic understanding of the configuration options for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile device platforms.
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by attending the following courses or by obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills through hands-on activities:
- Course 20697-1: Installing and Configuring Windows 10
- Course 20697-2: Deploying and Managing Windows 10 Using Enterprise Services
- Course 20411: Administering Windows Server 2012
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
Virtual Classroom (Attend From Anywhere)