Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 2
Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This highly practical instructor led Administering Red Hat Linux87 - Part 2 training course is designed to give delegates practical experience in the administration of a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) system. With a strong emphasis on practical hands on training, this course will teach further essential administrative tasks required to successfully administer a Red Hat Linux system.
Targeted to closely follow the official Red Hat certification curriculum, this course together with the Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 1 course will enable the delegate to work towards achieving the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) qualification.
In addition, by attending the Administering Red Hat Linux 8 System Administration - Part 1 & Part 2 courses together with the Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 3 course, these three courses will enable the attendee to work towards achieving the Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) qualification.
The delegate will have knowledge in all, and practice in some, of the following:
- Automate a system install using Kickstart
- Search files and output using regular expressions
- Use switch user command
- Use vim to edit text files
- Scheduling tasks to run automatically at predefined times
- Changing the priorities at which process run
- Understand and configure Access Control Lists (ACL's)
- Understand and manage SELinux context types etc
- Be able to connect to a central LDAP for checking identities
- Use the command line to create Partitions, Volume Groups and Logical Volumes
- Extend and decrease Volume Groups and Logical Volumes using the command line
- Extend file systems
- Access a Network File System (NFS) Server
- Configure autofs
- Be capable of mounting SMB (cifs) file systems
- Managing groups, extended file permissions
- Configure a basic firewall
This Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 2 course is suitable for anyone who has acquired basic administration skills from attending the Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 1 course. This will include novice System Administrators, Network administrators, Programmers and other technical IT staff who need to acquire knowledge of the key administration tasks required to administer a Red Hat Linux system.
This course will teach many of the necessary skills to enable the delegate to work towards achieving the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) certification followed by the Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification. The course assumes knowledge of the Red Hat Linux operating system to the level covered in the Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 1 course.
Before taking any exam, ensure you have the recommended experience. The Red Hat website lists all exam requirements and these are updated regularly.
Exams are not included as part of the course.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction to VIM (6 topics)
- Introduction to text file editing using vi/vim
- Basic commands
- Copying and moving text
- Search and replace features
- Reading and writing from file
Searching Text and Using Regular Expressions (5 topics)
- Searching for text in vim
- Regular Expressions
- Using grep to search the contents of text files using regular expressions
- Introduction to using 'sed' using regular expressions.
Managing Process Priorities (4 topics)
- Use of nice and renice commands
- Foreground and background processing
- Grouping commands
Installing Red Hat Linux Using Kickstart (7 topics)
- How Kickstart works
- Sections within a Kickstart configuration file
- Pre and Post Kickstart processing
- Creating a Kickstart file
- Creating the Linux Install Server
- Differing ways of starting a Kickstart installation
System Access Controls (8 topics)
- Access Control List (ACL's)
- Authentication policies and User Private Groups
- Password management using passwd, chage etc
- Managing user profile files
- Extended file permissions including suid,sgid
- Switching to another user
- Connecting to a centralized administration server
Adding Disks, Partitions, LVM Volumes and File Systems (4 topics)
- Creating partitions
- Creating Volume Groups and Logical Volumes
- Creating File Systems
Further Management of LVM's (4 topics)
- Extending Volumes and LVM file systems
- LUKS encrypted partitions
- Creating and Managing Swap space
Configuring a Basic Firewall (4 topics)
- Limiting network access through a firewall
- The firewalld program
- Basic configuration using the GUI interface firewall-config
Configuring and Managing SELinux (7 topics)
- Management of SELinux
- Easy configuration and customisation of SELinux
- Context types
- semanage, getsebool, setsebool and chcon commands
- SELinux log files
Accessing Remote Systems (NFS & SMB) (5 topics)
- Configuring client access to an Network Filesystem Server (NFS)
- Providing CIFS access (SMB)
- Configuring autofs
- Configure access from a client to a DNS server
Further Software Management (3 topics)
- The Yellow Dog Update, Modifier Tool (YUM)
- Creating a YUM repository
Scheduling Future Tasks (7 topics)
- Using 'at' to manage one-off jobs
- Using the cron system
- System crontab files
- Monitoring cron access
- Controlling access to the 'cron' and 'at' facilities
- Using anacron
Deploying an FTP and Web Server (8 topics)
- The Apache and Tux Web Servers
- Apache server configuration files
- Apache Configuration Directives
- Basic Server Configuration
- HTTP and SELinux
- The FTP Service using vsftpd
- Anonymous FTP Access
Maintaining the Kernel (4 topics)
- Loading and removing modules
- Updating the Kernel package
- Using kernel arguments
Troubleshooting (5 topics)
- Understanding the boot process
- The Rescue Environment
- Booting into Single User Mode
- Recovery from lost root password
The course assumes knowledge of the Red Hat Linux operating system to the level covered in the Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 1 course.
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course.
Administering Red Hat Linux 8 - Part 1
Gain the fundamental skills required to work productively in the workplace using Red Hat Enterprise Linux on this 5-day Administering Red Hat Linux Part 1 course.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.