Cloud Computing & Network Function Virtualization
- This course addresses the needs of project manager, system engineers and technical engineering staff within telecom carriers and equipment and software vendors who are interacting with the customer as well as involved in the design, setup and testing of virtualized telecom network equipment and software.
- Special focus of the course is on the ETSI ISG-based reference architecture which has been accepted by the industry as a baseline.
- The course provides a basic overview of cloud computing and the related business models like IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and makes the student familiar with the ideas of Virtual Machines and Containers and how they are used to install and run applications.
- The following part of the course focuses on the detailed description of the ETSI-reference architecture and makes the students familiar with the different terms like MANO, NFVI and VNF, VIM, VNFM and VIM.
- The course explains in detail the configuration and setup of VNFs consisting of one or more VNFCs using differently configured virtual links. This part concludes with the detailed description of the instantiation of a VNF.
- The next step is to makes the student familiar with the ideas of NFVIaaS, VNFaaS and VNFPaaS. This part of the course concludes with notes on the commercial and operational pros and cons of NFV.
- The course presents more NFV-scenarios like Scaling In/Out and Up/Down, behavior in case of VNF-outage and setup and collection of KPIs.
- The course further deals with optimization and acceleration of virtualized environments and describes which means exist for that optimization like localized memory (NUMA) and multiple core operation. This part also deals with potential performance killers like interrupts and how to mitigate their impact.
- To make cloud computing and NFV more understood, the course presents a set of demos presenting a simulated network managed by OpenStack VIM as well as an NFV based network managed by open source MANO such as OpenBaton.
Some possible questions that will be answered during the course:
- How does NFV differentiate from SDN?
- What makes NFV so appealing for telecom operators?
- What are the tasks and functions of the different blocks inside the ETSI-reference architecture like VIM, VNFM and orchestrator?
- Which obstacles need to be overcome to use COTS-hardware in telecom networks?
- In which steps can NFV be introduced and in which parts of the telecom network?
- Which hardware and software dependencies exist for virtualized network elements in terms of hypervisors and infrastructure?
- What are MANO-descriptors and what do we need to consider when we want to create, configure and on-board them?
Cloud Service Models (5 topics)
- N-Tiered Architecture
- Grid Computing
- Cloud Network Infrastructure and Protocols
- Native L2 vs L3 Overlay Models
Cloud Computing Environment (5 topics)
- Communication between VNFCs
- Serial Bus
- Hardware Switch
- Through (v)NICs and across Networks
More Details on the VNFI-Domain (5 topics)
- Hypervisor Domain
- Compute and Storage Domains
- Network Domain
- Virtual Networking Resources (not SDN)
- Operation of vSwitch
Accelerators (8 topics)
- HW Support
- KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
- DPDK (Data Plane Development Kit)
- SR-IOV and PCIe (Single Root Input/Output Virtualization / Peripheral Component Interconnect express)
- Reviewing Interrupt Methods and their Impact on Virtualization
- Interrupt types, virtual interrupts, interrupt issues with virtualization, interrupt operation using hypervisors, etc.
- Memory Access and NUMA
- General description of memory access and memory sharing, influence on processing speed, NUMA and the related benefits, etc.
Cloud Computing Platform Examples (1 topic)
Containers (3 topics)
- Linux containers
- Swarm, fleet, kubernetes, mesos, others...
Examples of Commercial distributions of OpenStack (3 topics)
- Mirantis Fuel
Introduction to NFV (2 topics)
- NFV Definitions
- ETSI NFV ISG Models
NFV Motivation and Benefits
NFV Architecture and Building Blocks (6 topics)
- Logical Abstractions
- SW Instances
- Virtual Resources
- HW Resources
- E2E Network Services
NFV MANO Framework (8 topics)
- Architecture, Functional Components and Interfaces
- NFV MANO Architecture
- VIM Manager
- Validation and authorization of network functions virtualization infrastructure (NFVI) resource requests
- VNF Manager
- Lifecycle management of VNF instances
- Lifecycle management of NS
NFV Functional Components and Descriptors (5 topics)
- NS (Network Service) and NSD, NSR
- Virtual Components (VNF, VNFC, PNF, VNFD VNFCD, and PNFD)
- virtual network function (VNF) packages
- Virtual Links and VLD / Connection Points (CP)
- Forwarding Graph (VNFFG)
VLD Examples (1 topic)
- E-TREE, E-LAN and E-LINE
NFPD and VNFFGD-Examples (1 topic)
- Control Plane / User Plane
VNF Scaling and Load Balancing (4 topics)
- Scale Up/Down vs Scale Out/In
- Auto Scaling and On-demand Scaling
- Management based Scaling
- VNFC load balancing and backup
Interfaces (6 topics)
Example of configuration and virtualized network setup (2 topics)
- From Network Service (NS) to VNFFG and NCT
- Creating Service Function Chaining (SFC)
MANO-Descriptors supporting Acceleration (1 topic)
- Examples of VNFD, VDU with different acceleration descriptors
Scaling Up/Down and Out/In Scenarios (2 topics)
- KPI-Communication between VNF and EMS
- SW/HW Outage VNF: Reaction of the System
NFV-MANO architectural framework data repositories (4 topics)
- NS Catalogue.
- VNF Catalogue.
- NFV Instances repository.
- NFVI Resources repository
Information Modeling and Protocols (3 topics)
- OASIS TOSCA
Protocols (3 topics)
NFV Use Cases (5 topics)
Blending SDN & NFV (4 topics)
- Review of core components
- Deployment Models
- Future Integration of SDN and NFV in the Cloud
- Future Integration of SDN and NFV in Telecom Networks
NFV Distributions (3 topics)
NFV Deployment Examples (2 topics)
- ETSI Proof of Concept Review
- "Real" Operator use cases and plans
Standard organizations participating in NFV related work (2 topics)
- 3GPP, ATIS, Broadband Forum, DMTF, ETSI NFV, IETF, ITU-T
- SG15, MEF, OASIS/TOSCA, ONF, and TM-Forum, others...
Open Source organizations participating in NFV related work (1 topic)
- OpenDaylight, ONOS, OpenStack, OPNFV, others...
Demos (2 topics)
- Demo of OpenStack (using Horizon dashboard)
- Demo of an open source MANO (using OpenBaton)
SDN & NFV Hands On (1 topic)
- The student must be familiar with telecom networks and their operation and administration
- Experience with different flavors of Linux operating system, esp. Ubuntu, and virtualized environments on a PC are beneficial
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
Virtual Classroom (Bangalore)
Virtual Classroom (Dubai)
Virtual Classroom (London)
Virtual Classroom (Reston, VA)
Virtual Classroom (Singapore)