Laser Safety Introduction
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
This 2-day laser safety course and assessment is accredited by the OCN, regional Open College Network. Successful candidates gain a qualification recognised as a level 2 award under the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) national framework. This award is broadly equivalent to a GCSE pass at grades A-C. We believe this is the first laser safety qualification recognised under the national framework.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction (3 topics)
- Safety legislation
- Hazards and risks
- Standard BS EN 60825
Light Fundamentals (3 topics)
- Waves & the electromagnetic spectrum
- LEDs & Lasers
- CW & pulsed emission
Laser Beam Properties (6 topics)
- Intensity distributions
- Beam divergence
- Modification with lenses
- Scattering & optical fibres
Laser Radiation Hazards (6 topics)
- Optical radiation hazard spectrum
- Physiology of the eye
- Photo-thermal effect
- Photochemical effect
- Eye hazard
- Skin hazard
Laser Classification (2001) (6 topics)
- Classification standards
- Exposure parameters
- Accessible emission limit (AEL)
- 2001 revised classification structure
- Practical laser classification
- Maximum permissible exposure (MPE) & Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD)
Laser Safety Controls (7 topics)
- Administrative controls
- Engineering controls & PPE
- Control measures:
- key switches
- protective eye-wear
Using BS EN 60825-1 Laser Safety Standard (4 topics)
- Structure of the Standard
- Manufacturers & Users
- AEL & MPE lookup
- Worked examples & case studies
Course Review/Written Assessment (2 topics)
- All trainees will receive a certificate of course attendance.
- Alternatively, following a short written assessment, delegates will receive a competency certificate applicable to working with laser based equipment in industrial or laboratory environments.
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course. If you are unsure please ask a training advisor .
City and Guilds 3667 - Internal Fibre and External Fibre (Units 2+3) Combined
A 5-day Training Course on City and Guilds 3667 - Internal Fibre and External Fibre (Units 2+3) Combined; Installation, maintenance, fault finding and repair.