M2285: Installing Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Microsoft Windows XP Training Courses.
Installing Windows XP Professional (4 topics)
- Install Windows XP Professional.
- Run Setup Manager and create an answer file to automate an installation of Windows XP Professional.
- Transfer user files and settings to a new computer.
- Create and deploy an image.
Adding Hardware to Microsoft Windows XP Clients (4 topics)
- Add hardware efficiently and safely to a computer running Windows XP Professional.
- Configure modems, printers, and monitors for maximum functionality.
- Troubleshoot hardware device drivers to resolve installation problems.
- Uninstall hardware correctly to protect your data and the computer.
Resolving Boot Process Issues (4 topics)
- Explain the Windows XP Professional boot process.
- Start a computer in Safe Mode and explain the other advanced boot options.
- Use the Recovery Console to start a computer.
- Use the Boot.ini file to change the startup behavior on a computer.
Configuring the Desktop Environment (5 topics)
- Configure desktop settings.
- Customize the desktop environment.
- Configure system settings.
- Manage local user profiles and understand how Group Policy can control desktop customization.
- Use Remote Assistance to view and control user computers from your workstation.
Configuring Microsoft Internet Explorer and Application Compatibility (4 topics)
- Configure security and connection settings for Internet Explorer.
- Use the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) and Group Policy to customize and deploy Internet settings.
- Configure applications written for earlier versions of Windows to operate on computers running Windows XP Professional.
- Configure the Dr. Watson debugger utility to troubleshoot applications.
Configuring Microsoft Windows XP Professional to Operate in a Microsoft Network (4 topics)
- Configure Windows XP Professional for a workgroup.
- Configure security settings on individual accounts and computers.
- Use the Network Setup Wizard to configure network options in a workgroup.
- Configure Windows XP Professional for a domain.
Configuring Windows for Mobile Computing (3 topics)
- Configure hardware for mobile computing.
- Configure power management for mobile computing.
- Make files, folders, and Web sites available offline.
Before attending this course, students must have completed: Course 2208: Upgrading Your Skills from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Or you must have completed all of the following courses: Course 2274: Managing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment Course 2275: Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment Course 2276: Implementing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure: Network Hosts Course 2277: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure: Network Services