IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 Advanced Administration, Tuning, and Troubleshooting
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
IBM Spectrum Protect, formerly known as IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, is a data backup and recovery solution designed to help you manage your data retention, reduce the cost of storage, and provide appropriate recovery point objectives to meet any service level agreement. IBM Spectrum Protect offers improved efficiency and flexibility through the use of object-based data management, policy driven retention, and an easy to use interface, the Operations Center.
In this advanced-level course, you streamline your daily operations by implementing the latest features, such as inline data deduplication using storage containers, secure communications, and node replication. You use the Operations Center and administrative command line to manage multiple IBM Spectrum Protect servers and nodes. The hands-on exercises are performed on two Windows 2012 R2 virtual machines.
This course is the second in a two-course series. It is for storage administrators familiar with the daily management of IBM Spectrum Protect, and focuses on the latest features, such as container pool storage. Basic concepts and installation are not covered in this course.
TS616G, the first course in the series, IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.2 Implementation and Administration, covers basic administration and installation.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe a multi-server IBM Spectrum Protect storage environment.
- Manage storage containers and traditional storage pools.
- Configure a multi-server environment.
- Improve data protection and recovery with replication.
- Enable advanced client functions.
- Protect and monitor the IBM Spectrum Protect environment.
- Use scripting to automate daily processing.
- Optimize the IBM Spectrum Protect server and client.
- Troubleshoot common problems.
- Describe the other IBM Spectrum Protect family products.
This course is for storage administrators familiar with the daily management of IBM Spectrum Protect/Tivoli Storage Manager.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
ContentThe IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 environment (5 topics)
- IBM Spectrum Protect concepts
- Operations Center navigation
- Benefits of a multi-site/multi-server environment
- Secure communications overview
Storage pool management overview (7 topics)
- Manage storage pool hierarchies
- Data movement in traditional storage pools
- Define policy to determine storage destination
- Container storage pools
- Data deduplication
- Container pool management
- Cloud tiering
Multi-site/multi-server management (3 topics)
- Overview of multi-site/multi-server management
- Create server pair
- Configure servers for multi-site/multi-server management
Replication and disaster recovery (4 topics)
- Configure replication
- Configure automatic client failover
- Audit and repair damage in a container storage pool
- Additional disaster recovery methods
Client functions and management (6 topics)
- Backup and restore overview
- Journal-based backups
- Image/snapshot backups
- Decommissioning a client node
- Automatic client updates with the Operations Center
- DSMCUTIL commands
Daily maintenance and monitoring (8 topics)
- Daily maintenance overview
- Daily storage pool maintenance tasks; traditional disk to tape
- Daily storage pool maintenance tasks; multi-site/multi-server
- Database backup
- Review events and messages
- Configure Operation Center alerts
- Client Management Services (CMS)
- Create reports in the Operations Center
Automation and scripting (5 topics)
- IBM Spectrum Protect SQL interface
- Server scripts
- Daily maintenance scripts
- IBM Spectrum Protect REST API
Tuning the server and client for optimization (7 topics)
- Performance tuning overview
- Optimized planning considerations
- Tuning options
- Server tuning
- Optimizing the IBM Spectrum Protect database
- Client tuning
- Server and client instrumentation
Troubleshooting and recovery (6 topics)
- Problem determination
- Database recovery
- Storage pool recovery
- Trace functions
- Report an issue
- Where to find more information
IBM Spectrum Protect additional products (2 topics)
- Other products in the IBM Spectrum Protect family
- Overview of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus
Complete IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.2 - Implementation and Administration (TS616G) prior to attending this course.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.