macOS Catalina Troubleshooting and Support Combined
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This five day, hands on course will provide delegates with an in-depth exploration of the latest Apple operating system - macOS Catalina. Using a mixture of trainer-led presentations and hands-on exercises, delegates will set their computers up from scratch; configure settings and explore the latest features; and learn how to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
Then we look at how macOS Catalina integrates in a corporate Microsoft Windows environment. Delegates will ensure their Macs are configured correctly to enable joining to a Active Directory Domain, join an Active Directory Domain and troubleshoot any potential issues.
Once joined to Active Directory, they will lean how to manage a Mac on a day to day basis in a Microsoft Windows environment, including deploying macOS to new and existing Macs and remotely manage Macs with Apple Remote Desktop.
- Install macOS Catalina and set up a new computer
- Configure basic settings, access network resources, email etc
- Understand and configure built-in security features
- Install and troubleshoot applications
- Use and configure printers and peripherals
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software issues
- Manage and troubleshoot the boot process
- Configure network on a Mac to work in a Microsoft Environment
- Bind to Active Directory network using GUI and command line
- Troubleshoot binding and authentication issues
- Deploy macOS in an enterprise envrionment
- Troubleshoot macOS remotely with Apple Remote Desktop
This course is delivered using digital courseware. Please ensure that each delegate has access to an iPad. Courses delivered at QA International House (London) will use iPads supplied by QA. For any other location, please speak with your account manager and we will arrange for them to be hired.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Installation and Configuration (1 topic)
- Learn about new features in macOS Catalina; explore hardware and other requirements before installation; learn how to install macOS Catalina; explore initial configuration options using Setup Assistant; understand the recovery partition and how to manage and install software updates.
Manage Users (1 topic)
- Learn about the different types of user accounts; learn how to add and remove user accounts; explore user home folders; learn how to use Parental Controls to apply restrictions.
Security (1 topic)
- Explore and configure built-in security features; understand the keychain, what it is, and how to use it; explore how to reset and change user passwords. Use FileVault for full volume data encryption; explore institutional recovery keys for deployment and how Secure Tokens work for File Vault. Discover how Activation Lock works and how to find lost or stole Macs with Find My Mac.
File Systems (1 topic)
- Learn about hard disks, partitions and volumes; Look at how Apple's new file system APFS works and how it will improve how disks are managed. Learn how to gather information and how to use Disk Utility to partition and erase; learn about Target Disk mode for data migration; explore and use FileVault for full volume data encryption; explore institutional recovery keys for deployment; explore the MacOS permissions models and learn how to gather information, use and modify permissions.
Data Management (1 topic)
- Learn how to archive files and folders; learn how to reveal hidden files and folders and navigate the file system; explore the Library folders and learn how they are used; understand metadata and use Siri and Spotlight; use the built in Time Machine solution to backup and restore data; learn how Time Machine stores data and what destinations it can use.
Applications, Documents and Processes (1 topic)
- Explore different methods to install and uninstall applications; examine and use strategies to troubleshoot application issues; explore built in technologies such as Launch Services and QuickLook; save documents to iCloud Drive; explore Continuity and Universal Clipboard; How SideCar can help improve production by using an iPad as a second display and use Apple Pencil to help annotate documents. Discover how to troubleshoot apps that crash or are unresponsive. understand how macOS Catalina can optimise storage.
Network Configuration (1 topic)
- Configure basic network settings such as fixed IP addresses and locations; understand how to configure proxy servers and VPN settings; learn about the tools we can use to troubleshoot network issues.
Network Services (1 topic)
- Configure macOS Catalina to use mail services such as Exchange, and to access network file servers; provide services including screen sharing; explore and use the built in firewall.
Peripheral Management (1 topic)
- Explore built in peripheral technologies; explore how drivers and extensions provide plug-and-play support for peripherals; explore how to gather information on peripheral devices; understand the role of CUPS in printing; explore how macOS Catalina can be configured to use different types of printers; explore built-in PDF functionality; troubleshoot printing issues.
Managing the Boot Process (1 topic)
- Understand and use the built-in MacOS Recovery tools and utilities for troubleshooting; use Console and Terminal to diagnose and resolve issues; understand the role of firmware and how the MacOS boot process works; learn how to modify startup for troubleshooting of the boot process.
Binding macOS to Active Directory (1 topic)
- Learn how to configure macOS to work in a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment, configure networking, bind a Mac to an Active Directory Domain.
Using Mobile Device Management to manage macOS (1 topic)
- How MDM can be used to manage macOS to ensure corporate standards are maintained, now applications can be centrally purchased and deployed to macOS.
Troubleshooting integration issues (1 topic)
- How to troubleshoot macOS in a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment.
Deployment (1 topic)
- Learn how to create, maintain and deploy macOS images in a corporate network.
Remote Management (1 topic)
- Learn how to remotely manage macOS and MacOS using Apple Remote Desktop. How detailed reports can be generated from Macs on a corporate network, how to deploy software and how to use ARD to remotely assist users with macOS and MacOS problems.
- Some knowledge of macOS and basic computer skills.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
|Later scheduled dates may be available for this course.|