M20462: Administering Microsoft SQL Server Databases
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2014 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2014 product features and tools related to maintaining a database. Note: This course is designed for customers who are interested in learning SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014. It covers the new features in SQL Server 2014, but also the important capabilities across the SQL Server data platform.
- Describe core database administration tasks and tools.
- Install and configure SQL Server 2014.
- Configure SQL Server databases and storage.
- Plan and implement a backup strategy.
- Restore databases from backups.
- Import and export data.
- Monitor SQL Server.
- Trace SQL Server activity.
- Manage SQL Server security.
- Audit data access and encrypt data.
- Perform ongoing database maintenance.
- Automate SQL Server maintenance with SQL Server Agent Jobs.
- Configure Database Mail, alerts and notifications.
The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. These individuals perform database administration and maintenance as their primary area of responsibility, or work in environments where databases play a key role in their primary job. The secondary audience for this course is individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction to SQL Server 2014 Database Administration (7 topics)
- Database Administration Overview
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- Database Management Tools and Techniques
- Lab: Using SQL Server Administrative Tools
- Using SQL Server Management Studio
- Using the sqlcmd Utility
- Using Windows PowerShell with SQL Server
Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2014 (7 topics)
- Planning SQL Server Installation
- Installing SQL Server 2014
- Post-Installation Configuration
- Lab: Installing SQL Server 2014
- Preparing to Install SQL Server
- Installing SQL Server
- Performing Post-Installation Configuration
Working with Databases and Storage (9 topics)
- Introduction to Data Storage with SQL Server
- Managing Storage for System Databases
- Managing Storage for User Databases
- Moving Database Files
- Configuring the Buffer Pool Extension
- Lab: Managing Database Storage
- Configuring tempdb Storage
- Creating Databases
- Attaching a Database
Planning and Implementing a Backup Strategy (8 topics)
- Understanding SQL Server Recovery Models
- Planning a Backup StrategyBacking up Databases and Transaction Logs
- Using Backup Options
- Ensuring Backup Reliability
- Lab: Backing Up SQL Server Databases
- Backing Up Database
- Performing Database, Differential, and Transaction Log Backups
- Performing a Partial Backup
Restoring SQL Server 2014 Databases (7 topics)
- Understanding the Restore Process
- Restoring Databases
- Advanced Restore Scenarios
- Working with Point-in-Time Recovery
- Lab: Restoring SQL Server Databases
- Restoring a Database BackupRestoring Database, Differential, and Transaction Log Backups
- Performing a Piecemeal Restore
Importing and Exporting Data (8 topics)
- Introduction to Transferring Data
- Importing and Exporting Table Data
- Copying or Moving a Database
- Lab: Importing and Exporting Data
- Using the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard
- Using the bcp Utility
- Using the BULK INSERT Statement
- Using the OPENROWSET Function
Monitoring SQL Server 2014 (6 topics)
- Introduction to Monitoring SQL Server
- Dynamic Management Views and Functions
- Performance Monitor
- Lab: Monitoring SQL Server 2014
- Collecting Baseline Metrics
- Monitoring a Workload
Tracing SQL Server Activity (6 topics)
- Tracing SQL Server Workload Activity
- Using Traces
- Lab: Tracing SQL Server Workload Activity
- Capturing a Trace in SQL Server Profiler
- Generating Database Tuning Recommendations
- Using SQL Trace
Managing SQL Server Security (7 topics)
- Introduction to SQL Server Security
- Managing Server-Level Security
- Managing Database-Level Principals
- Managing Database PermissionsLab : Managing SQL Server Security
- Managing Server-Level Security
- Managing Database-Level Security
- Testing Database Access
Auditing Data Access and Encrypting Data (6 topics)
- Auditing Data Access in SQL Server
- Implementing SQL Server Audit
- Encrypting Databases
- Lab: Auditing Data Access and Encrypting Data
- Implementing Auditing
- Implementing Transparent Database Encryption
Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance (7 topics)
- Ensuring Database Integrity
- Maintaining Indexes
- Automating Routine Database Maintenance
- Lab: Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance
- Managing Database Integrity
- Managing Index Fragmentation
- Implementing a Maintenance Plan
Automating SQL Server 2014 Management (9 topics)
- Automating SQL Server Management
- Implementing SQL Server Agent Jobs
- Managing SQL Server Agent Jobs
- Managing Job Step Security Contexts
- Managing Jobs on Multiple Servers
- Lab: Automating SQL Server Management
- Creating a Job
- Scheduling a Job
- Configuring Job Step Security Contexts
Monitoring SQL Server 2014 by Using Alerts and Notifications (7 topics)
- Monitoring SQL Server Errors
- Configuring Database Mail
- Configuring Operators, Alerts, and Notifications
- Lab : Monitoring SQL Server by Using Alerts and Notifications
- Configuring Database Mail
- Implementing Operators and Notifications
- Implementing Alerts
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design.
- Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by attending the following courses, or obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills:
- 20461C: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2014
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course.
M20461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server
This 5-day course provides delegates with the skills required to write basic Transact-SQL queries for Microsoft SQL Server 2012.Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
|Later scheduled dates may be available for this course.|