M10775: Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2012 product features and tools related to maintaining a database.
The Beta version of this course (10775AB) utilizes pre-release software in the virtual machine for the labs. Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Release Candidate 0 (RC0) is used in this course. Some of the exercises in this course are SQL Azure enabled.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Plan and install SQL Server.
- Describes the system databases, the physical structure of databases and the most common configuration options related to them.
- Explain the concept of the transaction log and SQL Server recovery models and implement different backup strategies available with SQL Server.
- Create SQL Server Backups.
- Restore SQL Server databases.
- Use the import/export wizards and explain how they relate to SSIS.
- Work with SQL Server security models, logins and users.
- Work with fixed server roles, user-defined server roles, fixed database roles and user-defined database roles.
- Work with permissions and the assignment of permissions.
- Work with SQL Server Audit.
- Work with SQL Server Agent, jobs and job history.
- Implement SQL Server agent security, proxy accounts and credentials.
- Configure database mail, alerts and notifications.
- Create database maintenance plans.
- Work with SQL Profiler and SQL Trace stored procedures.
- Introduce DMVs and the configuration of data collection.
- Work with Central Management Servers and Multi-Server queries, Virtualization of SQL Server and Data-Tier Applications.
- Troubleshoot SQL Server databases.
The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. These individuals perform database administration and maintenance as their primary area of responsibility, or work in environments where databases play a key role in their primary job.
The secondary audiences for this course are individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction to SQL Server 2012 and its Toolset (9 topics)
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- Working with SQL Server Tools
- Configuring SQL Server Services
- Lab: Introduction to SQL Server and its Toolset
- Verifying SQL Server Component Installation
- Altering Service Accounts for New Instance
- Enabling Named Pipes Protocol for Both Instances
- Creating an Alias for AdvDev
- Ensuring SQL Browser is Disabled and Configure a Fixed TCP/IP Port (Only if time permits)
Preparing Systems for SQL Server 2012 (7 topics)
- Overview of SQL Server Architecture
- Planning Server Resource Requirements
- Pre-installation Testing for SQL Server
- Lab: Preparing Systems for SQL Server
- Adjust memory configuration
- Pre-installation Stress Testing
- Check Specific I/O Operations
Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2012 (8 topics)
- Preparing to Install SQL Server
- Installing SQL Server
- Upgrading and Automating Installation
- Lab: Installing and Configuring SQL Server
- Review installation requirements
- Install the SQL Server instance
- Perform Post-installation Setup and Checks
- Configure Server Memory
Working with Databases (8 topics)
- Overview of SQL Server Databases
- Working with Files and Filegroups
- Moving Database Files
- Lab: Working with Databases
- Adjust tempdb configuration
- Create the RateTracking database
- Attach the OldProspects database
- Add multiple files to tempdb
Understanding SQL Server 2012 Recovery Models (7 topics)
- Backup Strategies
- Understanding SQL Server Transaction Logging
- Planning a SQL Server Backup Strategy
- Lab: Understanding SQL Server Recovery Models
- Plan a backup strategy
- Configure Recovery Models
- Review recovery models and strategy
Backup of SQL Server 2012 Databases (9 topics)
- Backing up Databases and Transaction Logs
- Managing Database Backups
- Working with Backup Options
- Lab: Backup of SQL Server Databases
- Investigate backup compression
- Transaction log backup
- Differential backup
- Copy-only backup
- Partial backup
Restoring SQL Server 2012 Databases (8 topics)
- Understanding the Restore Process
- Restoring Databases
- Working with Point-in-time recovery
- Restoring System Databases and Individual Files
- Lab: Restoring SQL Server 2012 Databases
- Determine a restore strategy
- Restore the database
- Using STANDBY mode
Importing and Exporting Data (8 topics)
- Transferring Data To/From SQL Server
- Importing & Exporting Table Data
- Inserting Data in Bulk
- Lab: Importing and Exporting Data
- Import the Excel spreadsheet
- Import the CSV file
- Create and test an extraction package
- Compare loading performance
Authenticating and Authorizing Users (8 topics)
- Authenticating Connections to SQL Server
- Authorizing Logins to Access Databases
- Authorization Across Servers
- Lab: Authenticating and Authorizing Users
- Create Logins
- Correct an Application Login Issue
- Create Database Users
- Correct Access to Restored
Assigning Server and Database Roles (8 topics)
- Working with Server Roles
- Working with Fixed Database Roles
- Creating User-defined Database Roles
- Lab: Assigning Server and Database Roles
- Assign Server Roles
- Assign Fixed Database Roles
- Create and Assign User-defined Database Roles
- Check Role Assignments
Authorizing Users to Access Resources (7 topics)
- Authorizing User Access to Objects
- Authorizing Users to Execute Code
- Configuring Permissions at the Schema Level
- Lab: Authorizing Users to Access Resources
- Assign Schema-level Permissions
- Assign Object-level Permissions
- Test Permissions
Auditing SQL Server Environments (8 topics)
- Options for Auditing Data Access in SQL
- Implementing SQL Server Audit
- Managing SQL Server Audit
- Lab: Auditing SQL Server Environments
- Determine audit configuration and create audit
- Create server audit specifications
- Create database audit specifications
- Test audit functionality
Automating SQL Server 2012 Management (7 topics)
- Automating SQL Server Management
- Working with SQL Server Agent
- Managing SQL Server Agent Jobs
- Lab: Automating SQL Server Management
- Create a Data Extraction Job
- Schedule the Data Extraction Job
- Troubleshoot a Failing Job
Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent (7 topics)
- Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
- Configuring Credentials
- Configuring Proxy Accounts
- Lab: Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
- Troubleshoot job execution failure
- Resolve the security issue
- Perform further troubleshooting
Monitoring SQL Server 2012 with Alerts and Notifications (7 topics)
- Configuration of Database Mail
- Monitoring SQL Server Errors
- Configuring Operators, Alerts and Notifications
- Lab: Monitoring SQL Agent Jobs with Alerts and Notifications
- Configure Database Mail
- Implement Notifications
- Implement Alerts
Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance (8 topics)
- Ensuring Database Integrity
- Maintaining Indexes
- Automating Routine Database Maintenance
- Lab: Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance
- Check database integrity using DBCC CHECKDB
- Correct index fragmentation
- Create a database maintenance plan
- Investigate table lock performance
Tracing Access to SQL Server 2012 (7 topics)
- Capturing Activity using SQL Server Profiler
- Improving Performance with the Database Engine Tuning Advisor
- Working with Tracing Options
- Lab: Tracing Access to SQL Server 2012
- Capture a trace using SQL Server Profiler
- Analyze a trace using Database Engine Tuning Advisor
- Configure SQL Trace
Monitoring SQL Server 2012 (8 topics)
- Monitoring Activity
- Capturing and Managing Performance Data
- Analyzing Collected Performance Data
- Lab: Monitoring SQL Server 2012
- Investigating DMVs
- Configure Management Data Warehouse
- Configure Instances for Data Collection
- Work with Data Collector Reports
Managing Multiple Servers (8 topics)
- Working with Multiple Servers
- Virtualizing SQL Server
- Deploying and Upgrading Data-Tier Applications
- Lab: Managing Multiple Servers
- Configure CMS and execute multi-server queries
- Deploy a data-tier application
- Register and extract a data-tier application
- Upgrade a data-tier application
Troubleshooting Common SQL Server 2012 Administrative Issues (6 topics)
- SQL Server Troubleshooting Methodology
- Resolving Service-related Issues
- Resolving Concurrency Issues
- Resolving Login and Connectivity Issues
- Lab: Troubleshooting Common Issues
- Troubleshoot and resolve SQL Server administrative issues
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design.
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by attending the following courses, or obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills: M10774: Writing T-SQL Queries for Microsoft SQL Server 2012
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course. If you are unsure please ask a training advisor .
M20461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012
This 5-day course provides delegates with the skills required to write basic Transact-SQL queries for Microsoft SQL Server 2012.