BCS Certificate in Commercial Awareness
Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
The era of autonomous organisations holding a monopoly position with their product or service is fading and increasingly organisations find themselves in ever more competitive environments where the key to success is not only through internal efficiency, but also by judicious collaboration with suppliers, outsourcing partners and competitors. In order that businesses can operate successfully in the current environment they are being forced to find new approaches to operating through restructuring, changing their organisational behaviour, modifying their internal and external boundaries, and establishing additional techniques for measuring performance. For today's business analyst to make a valuable contribution they need an awareness of all influences that affect an organisation.
This course gives an understanding of those financial and management accounting techniques that are crucial to an organisation both from a legal and administrative perspective. It also explores the social science aspects that are often hidden or not given sufficient priority that will ultimately govern the flexibility and adaptability of an organisation, which determine its ability to survive in today's competitive markets.
At the end of the course delegates may sit an examination to attain the BCS certificate in Commercial Awareness. The cost of the examination is included in the course fee. This course may be taken as part of the programme leading to the BCS Diploma in Business Analysis.
Candidates with special examination requirements should consult the ISEB web site (www.iseb.org.uk) for the ISEB Special Needs policy. Note that the ISEB must be advised at least four weeks in advance of any special requirements.
Delegates will be able to:
- Understand three techniques used to evaluate a financial case.
- Understand costing and pricing.
- Understand cash flow forecasting and budgeting.
- Describe the contents of financial accounting documents.
- Interpret financial accounts.
- Explain specified business performance ratios.
- Define the elements and usage of Porter’s Five Forces Framework and Value Chain.
- Define the elements and usage of the Boston Consulting Group’s matrix.
- Define the performance measures and usage of the Balanced Business Scorecard.
- Define the elements of specified cultural analysis approaches.
- Explain the different management structures and their characteristics.
- Define the different architectures that may be adopted by organisations.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Financial Reporting (4 topics)
- The balance sheet
- The income and expenditure statement (profit and loss account)
- The cash flow statement
- Financial ratio analysis
Budgeting, Costing and Pricing (3 topics)
- Budgets and departmental businesses
- Cash flow and cash management
- Costing and pricing
Evaluating a Financial Case (5 topics)
- The purpose of building a financial case
- Techniques for evaluating a financial case:
- Payback / breakeven
- Discounted cash flow / net present value (DCF/NPV)
- Internal rate of return (IRR)
Market Analysis and Competitive Advantage (3 topics)
- Analysing the business domain
- Analysing the product / service portfolio
- Delivering business value
Organisational Behaviour and Culture (3 topics)
- What is organisational behaviour?
- Organisational effectiveness and the balanced business scorecard
- Understanding and analysing culture
Working in Groups (2 topics)
- Groups and group dynamics
- Formal and informal groups
Organisational Structure (5 topics)
- Organisation structuring
- Types of jobs
- Line, staff and functional responsibilities
- Formalisation of rules and procedures
- Centralisation versus decentralisation
Operating Models (2 topics)
- Organisation structures and their characteristics
- Organisational boundaries
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.