Oracle Database: SQL Fundamentals I
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
This course introduces participants to the fundamentals of SQL using Oracle Database technology. In this course participants learn the concepts of relational databases and the powerful SQL programming language. This course provides the essential SQL skills that allow developers to write queries against single and multiple tables, manipulate data in tables, and create database objects.
The participants also learn to use single row functions to customize output, use conversion functions and conditional expressions. In addition, the usage of group functions to report aggregated data is also dealt with. Demonstrations and hands-on practice reinforce the fundamental concepts.
In this course, participants use Oracle SQL Developer as the main tool and SQL*Plus is available as an optional tool.
This is appropriate for a 10g and 11g audience. There are minor changes between 10g and 11g features in SQL.
Delegates will learn how to:
- Display data from multiple tables using the ANSI SQL 99 JOIN syntax.
- Employ SQL functions to generate customized data.
- Create reports of aggregated data.
- Use the SET operators to create subsets of data.
- Run data manipulation statements (DML) in Oracle Database 11g.
- Run data definition language (DDL) statements to create schema objects.
- Identify the major structural components of Oracle Database 11g.
- Retrieve data from tables.
- Create reports of sorted and restricted data.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction (5 topics)
- Overview of Oracle Database 11g and related products
- Overview of relational database management concepts and terminologies
- Introduction to SQL and its development environments
- The HR schema and the tables used in this course
- Oracle Database documentation and additional resources
Retrieve Data Using the SQL SELECT Statement (6 topics)
- List the capabilities of SQL SELECT statements
- Generate a report of data from the output of a basic SELECT statement
- Usage of arithmetic expressions and NULL values
- Implement Column aliases
- Describe the concatenation operator, literal character strings, alternative quote operator, and the DISTINCT keyword
- Display the table structure using the DESCRIBE command
Restrict and Sort Data (7 topics)
- Write queries with a WHERE clause to limit the output retrieved
- Use the comparison operators and logical operators
- Identify the rules of precedence for comparison and logical operators
- Usage of character string literals in the WHERE clause
- Write queries with an ORDER BY clause
- Sort output in descending and ascending order
- Substitution Variables
Use Single-Row Functions to Customize Output (5 topics)
- Differentiate between single row and multiple row functions
- Manipulate strings using character functions
- Manipulate numbers with the ROUND, TRUNC, and MOD functions
- Perform arithmetic with date data
- Manipulate dates with the DATE functions
Conversion Functions and Conditional Expressions (5 topics)
- Describe implicit and explicit data type conversion
- Describe TO_CHAR, TO_NUMBER, and TO_DATE conversion functions
- Nesting multiple functions
- Apply the NVL, NULLIF, and COALESCE functions to data
- Use conditional IF THEN ELSE logic
Aggregated Data Using Group Functions (5 topics)
- How aggregation functions help to produce meaningful reports?
- Use the AVG, SUM, MIN, and MAX function
- How to handle Null Values in a group function?
- Divide the data in groups by using the GROUP BY clause
- Exclude groups of date by using the HAVING clause
Display Data From Multiple Tables Using Joins (5 topics)
- Write SELECT statements to access data from more than one table
- Join Tables Using SQL:1999 Syntax
- View data that does not meet a join condition by using outer joins
- Join a table to itself by using a self join
- Create Cross Joins
Use Sub-queries to Solve Queries (6 topics)
- Use a Subquery to Solve a Problem
- Execute Single-Row Sub-queries
- Deploy Group Functions in a Sub-query
- Multiple-Row Subqueries
- Use ANY and ALL Operator in Multiple-Row Sub-queries
- Use EXISTS Operator
SET Operators (4 topics)
- What are SET operators?
- Use a SET operator to combine multiple queries into a single query
- Use UNION, UNION ALL, INTERSECT, and MINUS Operator
- Use ORDER BY Clause in Set Operations
Data Manipulation (6 topics)
- Add New Rows to a Table
- Change the Data in a Table
- Use DELETE and TRUNCATE Statements
- Save and discard changes with the COMMIT and ROLLBACK statements
- Implement Read Consistency
- Describe the FOR UPDATE Clause
Use DDL Statements to Create and Manage Tables (7 topics)
- Categorize Database Objects
- Create Tables using the CREATE TABLE Statement
- Identify the data types
- Describe Constraints
- Create a table using a subquery
- How to alter a table?
- Drop a table
Other Schema Objects (6 topics)
- Create, modify, and retrieve data from a view
- Perform Data manipulation language (DML) operations on a view
- Drop a view
- Create, use, and modify a sequence
- Create and maintain indexes
- Create and drop synonyms