Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Virtual Onsite
Dimensional modelling is an integral part of any BI (Business Intelligence) system and can be used within the data warehouse and/or the data marts.
This 3 day course assumes no prior knowledge of dimensional modelling. It starts by discussing what a data warehouse is, how they are designed and the part that dimensional modelling plays.
The vitally important process of requirement gathering is covered and attendees are shown how to:
- Collect the analytical requirements of the business users.
- Create a logical model of these requirements.
- Create a star schema from those requirements.
The relational and dimensional models are compared and contrasted, with particular reference to the current Kimball/Inmon debate.
The course then looks in great detail at dimensional modelling itself and finally ends with a summary of possible BI architectures.
Delegates will learn how to
- Understand the pros and cons of relational and dimensional modelling.
- Design dimensional models from analytical business requirements.
- Produce effective star schemas that deliver the analytical capabilities that the business requires.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Course Topics (28 topics)
- Introduction to designing dimensional data warehouses
- Gathering analytical requirements
- Logical (Sun) modelling
- Physical modelling - the star schema
- Facts and dimensions
- Attributes and hierarchies
- Time dimensions
- Synonym dimensions
- Surrogate keys
- Additive, semi-additive and non-additive measures
- Degenerate dimensions
- Slowly changing dimensions
- Bridge tables
- Mini dimensions
- Hot-swappable dimensions
- Multi-valued dimensions
- Parent child dimensions
- Bitmap dimensions
- Ragged hierarchies
- Unbalanced hierarchies
- Step dimensions
- First and last analysis
- Optimizing fact table performance
- Indexing in star schema
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.