NDC-Network Defence and Countermeasures
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
Security Fundamentals (8 topics)
- Hacker vs. cracker vs. phrack vs. phreak
- Security auditing basics, both internal and external
- Internet Device Vulnerability
- Conceptual differences between authentication, encryption, nonrepudiation and
- data integrity
- Common types of network attacks
- Security Versus Performance
- Security policy creation and security response plan
Firewalls (7 topics)
- What are the major types of Firewalls?
- Implementation of each type of firewall & combinations
- What is the use and function of a router ACL?
- What are the classes of addresses, & subnetting concepts?
- Network Analysis and optimal Firewall placement
- Packet filters and their features
- Demilitarized Zone (DMZ)
Intrusion Detection (5 topics)
- Identify the major types of Intrusion Detection
- When to implement each type of ID system
- How to monitor ID systems
- How to identify an intrusion attempt
- Proper shutdown procedures upon intrusion detection
Secure Socket Layer (5 topics)
- Understand and identify secure TCP/IP services (including, but not limited to;
- secure HTTP options, secure Telnet options, etc.)
- Understand the concepts of the Private and Public key combination
- Understand the applications that can use SSL (including, but not limited to; web sites, email, newsgroups, etc.)
- Test various Internet applications for potential risk points
Risk Analysis (8 topics)
- What is at risk?
- What it is that is being protected?
- Where the risk of break-in is greatest?
- Where abuse or misuse is greatest?
- What are the potential risk factors for data integrity?
- What organizations can assist in Risk Analysis?
- How to perform analysis on the overall network
- Managing Risk versus Avoiding it
Virtual Private Networks (7 topics)
- Theoretical and real gains to implementing a VPN
- Routing concepts related to VPN implementation
- Methods of securing the VPN
- Potential weak points of a VPN
- Routing related security concepts
- Methods of optimizing router traffic
- Configuration of static, dynamic, and on-demand routing
Distributed Denial of Service (4 topics)
- Define what a DDoS is
- Identify a DDoS attack in all stages (before, during and after)
- How to respond to DDoS attacks (legally and with trechnology)
- How to minimize DDoS attacks on the network
Monitoring and Optimizing (7 topics)
- Security management applications
- Security-related organizations, including their warning services
- Statistic-gathering programs and their implementation
- Tradeoffs between performance and security
- Optimize traffic patterns without losing security
- Identify bottlenecks and improve performance
- Analyze data from network management devices and tools
To attend this course students must have completed the Networking and Security Fundamentals course, or have equivalent technological skills. Students attending this course will be able to identify threats against the network and develop countermeasures using Firewall Systems and Intrusion Detection Systems.