Introduction to VB Script and Scripting for Windows Administrators
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Microsoft Visual Studio Training Courses.
An Introduction To Programming (6 topics)
- Explanation of what a program is
- How to design a program
- Understanding the Specification; Use Cases Flowcharts and Psuedo Code
- Logical layers
- Development LifeCycle
- Other Issues
VBScript Fundamentals (7 topics)
- What is scripting?
- Writing VBScript code
- Variables and constants
- Boolean Logic
- Logical decision making
- Looping statements
Procedural Programming (4 topics)
- What is procedural programming; Subroutines and Functions
- Writing and calling procedures
- MsgBox and InputBox
Object Fundamentals (6 topics)
- What is an object
- Type libraries and classes
- How to create and use objects
- What are properties and methods
- How to access properties and methods
- How to identify the available objects in a library How to identify the available properties and methods
Automating Applications and command line tools (2 topics)
- Using the WSH Shell object to launch applications, control them and manipulate their output
- Creating a ping function to check machine availability.
User Input through WSH (1 topic)
- Getting user input through arguments and the standard input streams.
The Registry (3 topics)
- Reading information from the registry
- Deleting registry values and keys
- Creating and modifying the registry.
Shortcuts (2 topics)
- Creating shortcuts
- Accessing the paths to special folders via script.
The Network Object (2 topics)
- Mapping network drives
- Enumerating mapped drives and installed printers Installing printers via script.
Folders (4 topics)
- Enumerating folders
- Creating and deleting folders
- Reading and modifying folder properties
- Retrieving drive information.
Files (4 topics)
- Enumerating files
- Creating and deleting files
- Reading and writing to files
- Sending emails via the FileSystemObject.
Spreadsheets (1 topic)
- Using the Excel objects to read from and write to spreadsheets.
Databases (2 topics)
- Using the ActiveX Data Object model to access databases; System DSNs
- Reading and Writing to SQL databases.
Appendix VBScript Language (3 topics)
- Functions provided in VBScript; string, date and numeric functions
- Conversion Functions
- Is Functions
Appendix WMI (2 topics)
- Using simple scripts to utilise Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- The WMI scriptomatic tool.
Appendix Introduction to ADSI (2 topics)
- Using simple scripts to utilise Active Directory Services Interface (ADSI)
- The ADSI scriptomatic tool
The course is written for administrators/IT professionals who have and would like to use VB Script to ease their administrative burden by automating repetitive tasks. The typical attendee will be an administrator/IT professional who is interested in examining how scripts can benefit and enhance their day-to-day environment This course assumes no knowledge of VBScript mechanisms, but it does assume knowledge of the Windows interface.