EDGE Technical Overview
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
The success of both mobile communication and Internet access is an unprecedented event in the world of communication. By the year 2003, one billion of GSM customers are predicted world-wide. It is envisaged that mobile data will play an important role in future communication. To respond to this expectation, General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) has been designed. GPRS uses a packet-mode technique to transfer high-speed and low-speed data and signalling in an efficient manner over cellular radio networks. To further increase transmission rates over the air interface, Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution (EDGE) has been defined. Initially designed operate over GSM/ GPRS radio networks, it now considered as a technology suitable for other 2nd generation networks, providing an upgrade path toward 3rd generation systems. This course gives a broad overview of the GSM/ GPRS system and explains in greater depth the design and operation of EDGE to provide higher data rates.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction (5 topics)
- Drivers (mobile data, 3G spectrum issue)
- EDGE - a move towards UMTS or/and a solution to provide 3G Services
- UMTS Services
GSM/ GPRS Overview (4 topics)
- Protocol Stack
- GSM/GPRS Air Interface (frequency/ time-slots, FEC, Interleaver, modulation, CS-1 to CS-4)
GERAN Architecture (4 topics)
- General Architecture and Interfaces
- User Plane Protocol Architecture- PS (Packet Switched) Domain
- Radio Interface Protocol Architecture
Air Interface/physical layer (4 topics)
- Logical/ traffic channels
- Mapping of logical channels onto physical subchannels
- EDGE Air Interface (FEC/ MCS1-MCS9, Air Interface degradation/ error recovery, Interleaver, modulation)
EDGE Air Interface Protocols (5 topics)
- Radio Resource Control (RRC)
- Packet data convergence Protocol (PDCP)
- Radio Link Control (RLC)
- Medium Access Control (MAC)
Conclusion- towards UMTS (3 topics)
- What is UMTS
- Where does EDGE stand vis-a-vis UMTS
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course. If you are unsure please ask a training advisor .
A 1-day Training Course on GPRS Overview; This course outlines the major attributes and elements of a GPRS network.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.