3GPP R4 / R5 - Core Network Overview
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
The evolution of mobile networks from 3GPP R99 to R4 / R5 introduces many changes to existing core
networks, their architecture and operation. It requires operators to understand the changes required to existing R99 networks and the upgardes associated with the migration towards the enhanced layered architecture of 3GPP networks.
This course has been designed to provide delegates (even Non-Technical delegates) with an understanding of the R4 / R5 network, the associated hardware changes, an introduction to Softswitch Solutions, Independent Transmission Bearer configurations, the layered architecture Call setup processes and other new functions of the network.
Each training session is thoroughly reviewed to help delegate understanding, and with the aid of the trainer, delegates will complete various network flow diagrams.
At the end of the course the delegate will be able to:
- Explain the evolution of mobile communications networks from GSM (R99) through 3GPP R4 / R5
- Draw a comprehensive R4 / R5 mobile network
- Understand the functionality of layered architecture networks
- Explain the available transmission topology and architectures - TDM, IP, ATM and MPLS
- Understand the processes associated with setting up a call or connection
- Describe the structure and operation of new MSS nodes (MSC server’s and MGW)
- Explain how new MSS nodes interface into the network and interworking functionality
- Describe the changes required for interfacing RAN (3G) and BSS (2G) nodes
- Discuss the role and implantation of new signaling systems
- Understand future services that layered architecture networks will provide
- Discuss migration requirements towards 3GPP R6 and Multimedia Networks
Migration from Non-layered to Layered Architecture Networks (3 topics)
- Review with Diagrams the architecture of the GSM (R99) Network
- Examine the requirements for the Network Structural Migration
- Overview the nodes and components of Layered Architecture
3GPP Layered Architecture (4 topics)
- Examine the functionality of the Mobile Softswitch Solution (MSS)
- Discuss the MSC Server and MGW
- Draw and understand functional diagrams of network related procedures
- Describe additional network entities and functions
Transmission Topology Explained (4 topics)
- Discuss transmission systems that are available within the core network
- Examine the advantages and disadvantages for TDM, ATM and IP
- Understand the basic functionality of transmission bearers
- Examine functionality role of the MGW within the transmission network
Interworking with Current Services and Operations (3 topics)
- Introduce how the new layered architecture interfaces with GPRS services
- Examine the basics of migrating SS7 Signalling towards IP
- Explain how Intelligent Network Functionality such as Pre-Paid works with MSS nodes
Migration Requirements (2 topics)
- Discuss the advantage and role of future IP Core Migration
- Understand future services such as the migration towards multimedia VoIP
An understanding of GSM and 3GPP (UMTS) mobile networks would be an advantage but is not essential.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.