Managing People - Core Skills
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
Managing staff effectively is one of the most rewarding aspects of management. Business, individual and team success comes from good management. This course addresses the fundamental knowledge and understanding of management, giving delegates a sound basis and methods for applying proven management practice. It does so by introducing the concepts and techniques of management and allows delegates to practise them in realistic case studies and exercises. It includes opportunities for delegates to identify competency areas needing development and to address these during and after the course.
The aim of this course is to provide fundamental knowledge and understanding of best practice management, based on the internationally recognised MCI Management Standards. To develop delegates personal management skills, by introducing them to ideas, techniques and concepts for managing themselves and others and to practise application of key personal competencies.
This course will enable delegates to:
- Understand the need for good staff management and appreciate relevant management theories.
- Relate the needs of the business to the work to be managed.
- Identify the characteristics of types of management, staff, resource, client, etc.
- Describe and practise the approaches to managing individuals.
- Develop and improve management of teams, groups and clients.
- Recognise and adopt personal management concepts, e.g. communication, time management and priority setting.
- Appreciate the need for specific management techniques and aspects of general management and apply them, e.g. Risk Management, Change Management etc.
- Understand characteristics of human behaviour that influence management style and processes.
Introduction to management (4 topics)
- Why manage people?
- Roles, skills, objectives
- Management structures
- Management theories
Business objectives (9 topics)
- Task and resource allocation
Designing the work (3 topics)
- Work plans and schedules
- Job design
- Assessing numbers, skills, competencies, experience
Resource management (5 topics)
- Attracting candidates
Client management (1 topic)
- Identifying and managing customers and clients
Managing the individual (9 topics)
- Objective setting
- Work planning
- Equality, diversity
- Reward and recognition
- Coaching, counselling
- Personal development planning
- Appraisals. Discipline processes
- Grievance procedure overview
Managing teams (5 topics)
- Team member style and contribution, Belbin
- Team structures and types
- Successful teams
- Work and task allocation
- Performance monitoring and review
Managing clients and customers (4 topics)
- Requirements, culture
- Communication channels
- Selling the message
Effective personal management skills (5 topics)
- Communication: types, effectiveness, neurolinguistic programming, influencing skills, assertiveness
- Time and priority management
- Delegation and empowerment
- Decision making
- Problem solving
Essential management techniques (6 topics)
- Risk management
- Managing change
- Management controls
- Financial management
- Interviewing skills
- Quality management
Human behaviour (5 topics)
- Awareness or pressure and stress
- Managing conflict
- Dealing with difficult situations and people
No previous formal training, but some experience of supervising or managing staff will be useful. Delegates who are about to take up their first managerial role will find this helpful.