Introduction to Firewalls
This course has been retired; please see the Cyber Security course section for alternative options.
Introduction (3 topics)
- What are we protecting ourselves against?
- Which persons are the threat?
- What do we have that anyone would wish to violate?
Communications Protocols Used on the Internet (6 topics)
- TCP/IP mechanism
- Ports and services
- Network services
- Intruder techniques
- Port scanning and detection
- TCP/IP based threats
Harvesting Information (3 topics)
- What intruders are looking for
- Tools of the trade
- Attack signatures
Introducing Encryption (3 topics)
- Business objectives
- Types of encryption
- Virtual private networks
Traffic Control (2 topics)
- Application level filtering and proxy services
System Security Checks (1 topic)
- Top 20 IT-based vulnerabilities
Delegates should have a reasonable knowledge of IT in general. You should feel comfortable investigating system settings through a Windows GUI interface, as well as entering line commands in console environments. Some investigations may be carried out on a UNIX platform. The course has technical content, but this is technically in breadth, rather than depth.