ASP.net 2005 (Active Server Pages)
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Microsoft Visual Studio Training Courses.
Introducing ASP.NET 2005 (9 topics)
- What experience does this course presume?
- What is the .NET Framework?
- What is ASP.NET?
- What languages are supported for writing ASP.NET applications?
- What software do I need in order to run ASP.NET applications?
- What does the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK include?
- What happens the first time an ASP.NET file is executed?
- Examining a Sample .NET Application that Uses asp:label
- Processing Form Submissions Under the New Model
Conditionals and Additional Web Server Controls (4 topics)
- Conditionals in VB.NET
- asp:dropdownlist and asp:listbox
Data Types and More Control Flow Structures (4 topics)
- Fundamental Data Types in VB.NET
- Select Case
- Loops in VB.NET
Arrays, Subroutines, and Functions (3 topics)
Events in ASP.NET (4 topics)
- Page events
- Web Server Control Events
- Example: payperviewdemo.aspx
Introduction to Object Oriented Concepts (8 topics)
- Objects are Created from Classes
- To Instantiate an Object, Call the Class's Constructor
- In VB.NET, All Variables are Typed
- Objects in VB.NET Have Methods and Properties Methods and Properties are Unique to Each Class
- Classes Relate to Each Other in Hierarchies
- Classes Automatically Inherit All Methods and Properties of The ClassesAbove Them
- Example: Building and Using a Viewer Class
- Defining Methods
Inheritance and Overriding (4 topics)
- Declaring the Class as a Subclass of Viewer
- Writing the New Constructor
- Method Overriding
- Shared (Static) Properties
Request, Response, and Server (1 topic)
- Side Note: Server.HTMLEncode
Introducing ADO.NET (6 topics)
- ADO.NET Uses OleDB Instead of ODBC
- System.Data and System.Data.OleDb Contain the Classes for DatabaseAccess
- Further Comparison of ADO.NET and ADO
- Introducing the Database Used for the Course
- Selecting Records from the Database via ADO.NET
Handling Exceptions (3 topics)
- Handling Database Exceptions
- Try-Catch-Finally-End Try
- Exercise 9: Writing a Query Viewer that Handles SQL Errors and EmptyDataSets
Working with Disconnected DataSets (3 topics)
- OledbAdapter and DataSet
- Populating a DataGrid from a DataSet
- Examining a More Complex Example
Inserting Records into the Database (2 topics)
- Inserting Records via a Disconnected Recordset
- Inserting a Record Directly Into the Database
Working with Stored Procedures (1 topic)
- Passing Input Parameters to a Stored Procedure
Application Variables and global.asax (3 topics)
- What is an Application?
- A Sample global.asax File
- A Hit Counter Application Variable Example
Introducing XML (6 topics)
- XML Logical Structure
- XML Physical Structure
- Why Use Attributes?
- XML Design Patterns
- Applications of XML (and related technologies)
- What We'll Cover in the Following Four Sections
Working with Validation Controls (1 topic)
- RequiredFieldValidator, CompareValidator, and RangeValidator
Regular Expression Validation (10 topics)
- Introducing Regular Expressions
- Regular Expression Tester
- Special Characters for Pattern Matching
- Escape Sequences for Special Characters
- Specifying Ranges in Patterns
- Matching a Specified Number of Occurrences
- Character-Range Escape Sequences
- Matching at the Beginning or End of a String with ^ and $
- The Word-Boundary Pattern Anchors: \b and \B
- Using the RegularExpressionValidator
Introduction to Web Services with SOAP (5 topics)
- What are Web Services?
- What is SOAP?
- Examining a Web Service
- Calling a Web Service from another Application
- Setting up a Web Service Proxy
Appendix A: SQL Refresher (7 topics)
- Data Types in SQL
- Creating a Table in SQL
- Inserting a Row into the Table in SQL
- Inserting a Partial Row (or Fields in a Different Order) in SQL
- Retrieving Information from the Database via SELECT
- Editing Records in the Database with the UPDATE Statement
- Removing Records from the Database with the DELETE Statement