Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Introductory Certificate in Management
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Management Skills Training Courses.
Developing Yourself (6 topics)
- what 'management' is and what skills and knowledge are required by an effective manager
- the importance of seeking feedback on your skills and knowledge
- how to set effective objectives
- the need to manage your own time well
Information & communication (9 topics)
- the need for clear, relevant, accurate, and timely information
- the communication process
- the different types of information (qualitative and quantitative)
- the main methods of gathering and analyzing information
- the main methods of communicating information or advice to others and when
- when they should be used, including presenting information, preparing a report and via meetings
Customer focus & quality, continuous improvement & change (7 topics)
- who are your internal and external customers and suppliers
- the market place within which you operate
- quality, quality assurance and control, and why they are important
- why 'continuous improvement' is necessary
- how people are affected by change and ways of helping them adapt
Planning & monitoring (10 topics)
- the hierarchy of objectives
- the need for effective objectives eg SMART
- the main principles of effective planning
- health & safety issues and your related role and responsibilities
- the recruitment and selection process
- the need to identify the resources required to operate effectively
- the main legal requirements relating to health & safety, recruitment and selection, and resourcing
- the importance of monitoring plans and resources to ensure that objectives are successfully achieved
Working with others (8 topics)
- how good working relationships can be encouraged and developed
- the principles of leadership
- what motivates/demotivates people
- the importance of respect, trust and confidentiality
- the need to help others develop their skills and knowledge
- performance problems and possible solutions/approaches
Learning outcomes (9 topics)
- On completion of this qualification you will know how to:
- Prepare and carry out a development plan for yourself.
- Identify customer needs.
- Gather, analyse and communicate information effectively.
- Set objectives, identify resources required, prepare a plan (taking due account of any relevant major legal issues) and monitor it.
- Establish good working relationships with others.
- Assist others to develop and address performance problems.
- You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of quality, continuous improvement and change in your answers