Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
Do you find your working life is a succession of meetings?
Do you need to make sure you’ve got an accurate record of your meetings, including effectively capturing actions?
Would you like to remove your fear of taking minutes?
For everything from a formal AGM to weekly staff gatherings, minute-takers are expected to provide an accurate record of proceedings, often with no training or guidelines. This can result in minutes that are too sketchy or too detailed; failure to follow up decisions; a lack of evidence for later proceedings; and a waste of many people’s time.
This course will take you through every stage of the process of taking minutes, clarifying objectives and standards. You’ll be equipped with ideas for successful preparation, listening, analysis and note-making and introduced to the principles of clear, effective writing. This event is highly participative and provides an opportunity for every attendee to take notes in an agreed format.
You’ll benefit from this course if you are expected to take accurate and professionally produced notes or minutes.
Delegates will learn how to:
- List what you need to do to prepare for meetings prior to, during and after the event
- State the role and responsibilities of a chairperson
- Demonstrate setting a well structured agenda
- State common obstacles to effective listening and demonstrate your own listening skills
- Identify a method of note-taking that suits your preferred style
- Select the important and relevant points from a discussion
- State agreed accepted conventions for the format of minutes
- Produce an accurate set of minutes, clearly and concisely
Course Topics (15 topics)
- Personal objectives for the course.
- The meeting - what you should do before, during and after.
- The role and responsibilities of a chairperson.
- Styles of agenda.
- Setting the agenda.
- Barriers to listening.
- Listening and summarising a conversation.
- Using subject and viewpoint.
- Methods and style for taking notes.
- Simplifying expressions & editing redundant expressions.
- Styles of minutes.
- Sections of minutes.
- Recording decisions and actions.
- Practising minute taking.
- Completion of a personal action plan.
Please bring examples of previously taken notes and minutes (removing or blacking out areas of confidentiality) so that we can use these during the course
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different levels of discounts are available, ranging from 5 to 50%. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.