z/OS UNIX System Services Part 1 - Concepts and Facilities
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
This course describes and explains UNIX System Services from a technician's point of view. The principal UNIX concepts are introduced and explained, and followed by a thourough examination of USS at a conceptual level. The course goes on to describe the facilities available and explains how the MVS system environment has changed to support open system and UNIX concepts through z/OS USS.
This course is suitable for all IT technicians working in a z/OS technical environment that will be encompassing the use of USS.
On successful completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand and use the terminology associated with UNIX
- Describe basic UNIX concepts
- Issue UNIX shell commands
- Explain the changes that have been made to the MVS platform in order to support applications created for a UNIX environment
- Identifiy the facilities and functions provided within USS.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction to UNIX and open systems (1 topic)
- Where did UNIX come from?; the three 'foundations': SVR4, BSD, OSF/1; commercial and 'hobby' UNIX systems; open systems standards; POSIX and Open Group branding
UNIX system overview (1 topic)
- UNIX internals overview; Processes and programs; the Shells; UNIX file system; user accounts & access control.
The Kernel and the Shell (1 topic)
- Different shells: Bourne, Korn, C; starting the Shell; main Shell functions; Command Line interpretation; UNIX multitasking: foreground, background; Shell variable and shell programming.
The UNIX file system concept (1 topic)
- Files, directories and permissions; listing, locating, copying and moving files; controlling I/O and using Pipes; browsing & searching text - pg, grep; sorting text files; formatting and printing.
USS file systems (1 topic)
- USS running in batch; USS-related JCL; USS TSO commands.
Interactive UNIX (1 topic)
- TSO terminal support; direct login with rlogin and telnet; the Shell and shell commands; TSO commands and ISPF panels; OEDIT and OBROWSE.