Business Skills for IT Professionals
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Management Skills Training Courses.
Professionalism (1 topic)
- How attitude and ambition contribute to career development
Effective Communications (2 topics)
- Learning to judge communications according to quality standards
- Developing the ability to actively listen
Written Communications (3 topics)
- Effective and efficient business writing
- Understanding business style
- Using templates to simplify and speed up the writing process
Presentations (1 topic)
- Best practices for preparing and delivering dynamic presentations
Dynamic Meetings (2 topics)
- How and when to avoid meetings
- Organizing the best possible meetings when you can't avoid them
Motivation (2 topics)
- Patterns of motivation in the workplace
- Motivational tools and how to apply them
Delegating (2 topics)
- Delegating as the art of management
- Managing and monitoring delegated tasks for maximum productivity
Negotiating (2 topics)
- Negotiation fundamentals
- The art of haggling
Leadership (2 topics)
- Choosing a leadership style
- Recognizing when leadership is necessary
Managing Time and Priorities (2 topics)
- Knowing what is the best use of your time, all the time
- Techniques for minimizing interruptions
Beyond Budgets (1 topic)
- How Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and rolling forecasts are replacing traditional budgeting process
Critical Thinking and Reasoning (1 topic)
- Introduction to the science of critical thought and reasoned analysis
Problem Analysis Guidelines (2 topics)
- Best practices for reaching optimum decisions
- Case Studies
Case Studies (24 topics)
- Case Study 1: Attitude Management
- Learning to be positive.
- Case Study 2: Communication Fundamentals
- Judging communications according to quality standards.
- Case Study 3: Editing for Clarity
- Focus on brevity and precision in writing.
- Case Study 4: Editing for Business Style
- Focus on purpose and outcomes.
- Case Study 5: Structuring E-mail
- Applying templates to speed and improve the writing process.
- Case Study 6: Letter Writing
- Preparing formal communications that are brief, clear, and accurate.
- Case Study 7: Writing Presentations
- Outlining effective speaking notes.
- Case Study 8: Ranking Motivators and De-motivators
- Understanding the role of planning in the motivational process.
- Case Study 9: Dissecting the Reasoning of Others
- Dismantling the logic and thought processes that individuals use to arrive at decisions.
- Case Study 10: Evaluating the Quality of Reasoning
- Judging the inputs of an individual's thought processes.
- Case Study 11: Restating a Problem to Clarify Purpose
- Dismantling a decision to be made by reinterpreting the objectives.
- Case Study 12: Determine the Major Factors
- Analyzing a decision to be made by drilling down to the pivotal issues.