Feature Writing: Advanced
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
This course is for those who have some feature writing experience but want to learn how to come up with better ideas, improve their writing style and make sure they execute their ideas in the best way.
This is a one day course designed for press officers, PR officers, contributors to in-house journals and working journalists who need to meet the highest standards of magazine and newspaper feature writing.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Finding new ways into familiar subjects (1 topic)
- How to keep things fresh. You may have been asked to write a feature about a subject many times before - putting a new twist on a topic
Finding your voice as a feature writer (1 topic)
- Once you are comfortable with structuring a feature you can bring some of your own personality to bear as a writer. How to make sure you put just enough of yourself into what you write, but not too much
Better intros, better styles (1 topic)
- A range of foolproof structures for any feature
How to interview difficult subjects (1 topic)
- How to handle uncooperative or unintentionally unhelpful interviewees
How to avoid transcribing hours of tape before you write your feature (3 topics)
- The feature isn't on your tape, its in your head
- When to refer to your tape
- The correct use of taping, when taping is useful and when it is essential
Writing a variety of reviews (2 topics)
- Mixing factual information and opinion
- Putting in the ground work
The features that win awards (1 topic)
- Tips and tricks for making your feature stand out from the crowd
Tips and tricks for when your feature gets bogged down (1 topic)
- Is there a vital quote, interview, factual element or passage of description missing? How to work out what's wrong
Law for journalists (1 topic)
- Update on latest developments in defamation law and privacy
Delegates are invited to submit examples of their own work if they wish for appraisal.
Questions and answers
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course.