Windows Server 2008 Server Management and Web & Application Platform Technologies
This course has been retired. Please view currently available Microsoft Windows 2008 Training Courses.
Server Manager/Initial Configuration Tasks (1 topic)
- This session will provide a high-level overview of the new server roles and features available in Windows Server 2008
Windows PowerShell (1 topic)
- This lesson will provide a general introduction to Windows PowerShell and how it can be utilized to streamline management of multiple servers.
Remote Management (1 topic)
- This lesson will provide an overview of the Windows Remote Shell environment and how administrators can use Windows Remote Management to streamline management of servers across the enterprise.
Server Core (1 topic)
- This lesson will provide an overview of the new Server Core capabilities of Windows Server 2008 and will assist an administrator in understanding how to implement it for the purpose of reducing management and services needs while improving security.
Lab exercises CL2 (9 topics)
- Identify the tasks necessary to complete the installation of Windows Server 2008 using the Initial Configuration Tasks console.
- Summarize the steps necessary to install and configure Windows Server 2008 server roles and features using Server Manager.
- Determine Windows Server 2008 server status using Server Manager as well as evaluate the other integrated Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-ins available in Server Manager
- Explore Windows PowerShell
- Use WinSH/ WinRM for Remote Management
- Configure Server Core
- Install a Server Role on Server Core
- Install an Optional Feature on Server Core
- Manage Server Core
Web & Application platform technologies (8 topics)
- Identify the benefits of using IIS 7.0
- Discuss the process of IIS 7.0 deployment
- Describe the new componentized architecture of IIS 7.0 and identify its benefits
- Identify new IIS 7.0 features that improve security
- Identify the new/improved user interfaces in IIS 7.0
- Identify how IIS 7.0 provides for comprehensive extensibility
- Identify the diagnostic capabilities built-in to IIS 7.0
- Identify the troubleshooting and diagnostics capabilities in Windows Server 2008 that will aid in troubleshooting and managing IIS 7.0
Lab exercises CL5 (3 topics)
- Explore the IIS 7.0 user interface
- Configure IIS 7.0
- Use WSRM to manage resources