Book Now - 2 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
The TCP/IP Networking course introduces the delegate to the main concepts of TCP/IP. It describes the structure of the TCP/IP Protocol suite and the functions and Protocols at each layer.
At the end of the course the delegate will be able to:
- Describe the four layers of the TCP/IP Protocol suite and the functions of each layer
- Identify the needs of, and the purpose of each of the protocols at each layer
- Use and configure each of the common applications used with TCP/IP
- Set up and configure a small network
- Configure a router using static routing and RIP
- Split a network into three subnets
- Use the common network commands to troubleshoot a TCP/IP Network
- Examine a TCP/IP trace at all levels, and diagnose network problems
Who Should Attend?
System Administrators and other staff who are required to understand a TCP/IP Network
Overview of TCP/IP (10 topics)
- Origins of TCP/IP
- Internet and Internetwork
- TCP/IP and the OSI Model
- Network Interface Layer
- Network Layer
- Transport Layer
- Application Layer
- Communication Using TCP/IP
- Exercise: Installing a NIC
- Exercise: Configuring IP Address and Subnet Mask
Network Interface Layer (7 topics)
- Interface Layer Protocols
- Token Ring
- Token Bus
- Fibre (FDDI)
- Serial Line Interface Protocol (SLIP)
- Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
Network Layer Protocols (9 topics)
- Network Layer Protocols
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- Routing Principles
- Routing Information Protocol (RIP)
- Open Shortest Path First Protocol (OSPF)
- Internal/External Routing Protocols
- Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
- Reverse Address Resolution Protocol (RARP)
- Exercise: Exercise on Addressing
Network Layer Protocols Continued (9 topics)
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- TCP Port Numbers
- TCP Header
- Functions of each Field
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- UDP Header
- Functions of each Field
- Summary of TCP and UDP
Application Layer Protocols (6 topics)
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP)
Network Security and Remote Commands (6 topics)
- Network security
- rlogin - remote Login
- rcp - remote copying of a file
- rsh/rcmd - remote commands over a network
- rwho/rusers - who is on the network
- User commands - Manual Pages
NFS and NIS Overview (7 topics)
- Network File System (NFS)
- About the NFS Environment
- How NFS Works
- Setting up NFS
- Debugging NFS Systems
- Differences Between NFS and Standard UNIX
- Network Information System (NIS)
Important RFCs (1 topic)
- An introduction to some important RFCs.
FTP Trace (1 topic)
- Following a sample FTP Trace taken from a live connection
TCP/IP and Set Up and Testing (6 topics)
- A look at common commands used in setting up and testing an IP Network.
- Designing and setting up a network composed of three subnets.
- Configuring two routers.
- Configure and set up NFS.
- Configure and set up the automounter to automatically mount a user's home directory on login.
Understanding of an Operating System is essential.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.