MySQL for Beginners
This course is no longer running. The Introduction to MySQL is recommended as an alternative.
Course Content (19 topics)
- Understand the features and benefits of MySQL
- Be able to find information about products, support and training
- Be able to install and start the MySQL server
- Understand the basics of Relational Databases
- Understand the SQL and MySQL languages
- Understand Data/Column types with regard to efficient database design
- Be able to view a database design structure/content
- Create a database design using an efficient structure
- Be able to extract basic database information using the SELECT command
- Be able to troubleshoot syntax and understand typical warnings and errors
- Be able to delete or modify a database
- Be able to delete or modify table row data
- Grouping query data with Aggregation
- Connect data from multiple table rows using JOIN
- Perform nested sub-queries
- Use of Simple Functions (String, Date, Numerical)
- Understand the primary methods for exporting and importing data
- Describe MySQL connectors, their major features and differences.
- Understand MySQL storage engines, transactions and features of the common engines
Basic computer literacy is required. Previous experience with any command-line program (such as MS-DOS) is beneficial. Some knowledge of database concepts would be very helpful but is not necessary. If you have previous database experience, we recommend you compile a set of questions before the course. This will ensure you get the most out of your time with the instructor.