System Modelling Techniques (Structured)
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Classroom Virtual Classroom Private Group - Virtual Self-Paced Online
In order to communicate system requirements clearly and accurately to both business and IT stakeholders, it is vital for analysts and designers to be able to construct models from a variety of perspectives. In most cases these models will provide the basis for more detailed design.
The starting point for this course is a set of requirements, as defined in the Systems Development Essentials course. It is primarily concerned with modelling systems using structured techniques. It requires delegates to construct different types of model reflecting different perspectives and to describe the interactions between them.
At the end of the course delegates may sit an examination to attain the BCS Certificate in Systems Modelling Techniques.
Please Note: The exam is not included in the course fee. Delegates wishing to undertake the exam should also book on course QASMTSEX.
Following your exam you will be sent an email from BCS asking you to register for your exam. Once you have registered and your exam results become available then you will be able to log back into your account and view your results.
This course may be taken as part of the QA programme leading to the BCS International Diploma in Solution Development.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Justify the need for modelling and modelling techniques
- Explain why it is important to model system requirements from different perspectives and identify specific modelling techniques
- Construct a static structure model (logical data structure, entity-relationship diagram) Construct a process model (data flow diagram)
- Construct a simple dynamic event driven model (entity-lifecycle diagram and access path analysis)
- Evaluate how the various models reflect business objectives and system requirements Appreciate how the various perspectives inter-relate to each other
This course is ideal for those who need to model business systems using structured modelling techniques and/or those wishing to attain the BCS Certificate in Systems Modelling Techniques.
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Systems Modelling (1 topic)
- The need for modelling and modelling standards; Rationale for the selected approach; The approach and a Systems Development Lifecycle; Place of models within the Systems Development Lifecycle; Modelling the system from different perspectives; Interaction of the models; Validating and verifying models
Systems Modelling in Context (1 topic)
- Monitoring analysis against business objectives and system requirements; The bridge to design, software package selection, and development
Modelling Functionality (1 topic)
- Modelling processes using a data flow diagram; Elementary process descriptions; Types of data flow diagram
Static Modelling of Data (1 topic)
- Entity Relationship diagrams - entity types, attributes, keys, relationships, super-types and sub-types; Supporting documentation
Dynamic Modelling (2 topics)
- Analysing the behaviour of entities - events, enquiries, effects; Modelling the behaviour of entities - constructs for sequence, selection and iteration; Documenting navigation paths Interaction of Models
- Entity-Process Matrices (CRUD analysis)
Case Study (1 topic)
- Throughout the course, a case study is used to reinforce and practise the topics discussed
An understanding of the fundamentals of systems development, or attendance of the Systems Development Essentials course.
If you are taking a BCS exam you must bring photographic identification with you (passport, driving license or student card), as it is a BCS requirement to produce it for the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce a valid form of photographic identification will result in a candidate not being able to sit the exam. For any questions about what form of identification is acceptable please contact your Account Manager.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.
|Later scheduled dates may be available for this course.|