VPLS: Virtual Private LAN Service
Book Now - 3 Delivery Methods Available:Scheduled Virtual Onsite
Carriers have offered connectivity services based on traditional TDM, Frame Relay and ATM for many years. However, the cost of operating separate networks to provide each of these services, as well as the need to sell higher bandwidth services than can be offered with these traditional networks, is forcing them to move to newer, more cost effective technologies, namely Ethernet, IP and MPLS. Ethernet and IP have allowed networks to deliver high bandwidth and new services with greater flexibility, while MPLS has allowed these new services to become more "carrier-class", offering the connection-oriented behaviour, quality of service, and reliability normally associated with traditional technologies. Recently, there has been increased interest in Layer 2 MPLS based services, which support LAN and legacy traffic, and are lower cost and simpler to manage. Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) is a fast growing Layer 2 MPLS based service that offers multi-point connectivity; making enterprise LANs in multiple sites appear as if they are on the same LAN.
This course provides a fast overview of VPLS, how it works, how it can be deployed within a carrier network and what benefits to carrier and user that it provides.
When you have completed this course you will be able to:
- Describe how VPLS functions and its major benefits
- Describe how it can be deployed using Ethernet and MPLS
- Compare its operation to alternatives
- Examine example deployments for delivery of next generation services.
Next Generation Carrier Network Requirements (11 topics)
- What services carriers need from their infrastructure
- Services to be delivered
- Quality and Protection Demands
- Access and Core divisions
- User interface requirements
- Private networking needs: at layer 2 and/or Layer 3
- Security and isolation
- Service models
- Automatic capability discovery
- Triple-Play Network Requirements
Customer Private Service Needs (7 topics)
- Virtual Private Network Services
- Topology needs
- Point to point services using Pseudo Wires
- Emulated LAN using multipoint services
- VPLS Model for carrier services
- Control Plane vs Data plane
- Requirements for requested QoS and Protection
MPLS Primer (12 topics)
- Label switching concepts
- Normal hop-by-hop routing
- Creation of Labels
- Distribution of Labels
- Function of Label switching
- Forward Equivalence Class (FEC)
- Label Edge Switches
- Label Distribution Protocol
- Explicit routed Label Switched Paths
- Constraint routed Label Switched Paths
- Traffic Engineering
- Fast Rerouting
Gigabit Ethernet Primer (14 topics)
- Ethernet Speed Evolution to 10Gbit/s
- Ethernet switching
- Bridging functions
- 802.3ad Learning Bridges
- Problems with MAC address Tables
- Mac-in-Mac solutions
- Multicasting over Ethernet
- GARP and GMRP
- IEEE802.1Q VLANs
- Overcoming the VLAN limit
- Q-in-Q solutions
- IEEE802.1P QoS
- Aggregation and Protection
VPLS Solutions (16 topics)
- Service Signalling concepts
- Virtual Private Wire Services
- MAC address Learning
- Hierarchical VPLS
- Deployment over LDP
- Generalized PWid FEC
- Learning Actions
- MAC address withdrawal
- Deployment over BGP
- Control Plane and Auto Discovery
- Multi-AS VPNs
- Multicasting over VPLS
- IGMP snooping
- VPLS in Triple-Play Solutions
Deploying VPLS in existing Networks (4 topics)
- Case Studies
- Scaling Issues
- Service Level Agreements
- MTU issues
Future of VPLS (2 topics)
- Operations, Administration and Management
- Ethernet Service Definitions
Delegates should have a good understanding of IP and WAN principles. They should also understand the basics of Next Generation Networks.
The courses below may help you meet the knowledge level required to take this course. If you are unsure please ask a training advisor .
ICND2: Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices Part 2
A 5-day Training Course on ICND2: Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices Part 2; Learn to Install, operate, & troubleshoot a small-medium office Enterprise network.
Hands On TCP/IP and Internet Protocols
A 4-day Training Course on Hands On TCP/IP and Internet Protocols; covers practical configuration & troubleshooting of TCP/IP within LANs and WANs.
Understanding Next Generation Architectures
A 2-day Training Course in Understanding Next Generation Architectures; Evolution & uses of next-gen technology; TV, Video, Multi-Media, & Voice over IP.
Understanding IP and Datanetworking
A 2-day Training Course on Understanding IP and Data Networking; overview of key concepts, protocols, and functions of the internet and IP services.
Please select from the dates below to make an enquiry or booking.
Different pricing structures are available including special offers. These include early bird, late availability, multi-place, corporate volume and self-funding rates. Please arrange a discussion with a training advisor to discover your most cost effective option.