Solaris 9 Administration Part 1
This course has been retired in favour of the Solaris 10 Administration Part 1 course.
Introduction to Solaris (3 topics)
- Components of the Solaris operating environment.
- Key terminology.
- Roles of the administrator.
Administering the boot prom (1 topic)
- Use the OpenBoot PROM commands to identify system configuration, change the boot device and perform basic hardware testing.
Software installation (1 topic)
- Understand Solaris software groups and install a system for a networked standalone installation.
Managing packages (3 topics)
- Investigate software packages on the system.
- Add new software packages.
- Remove software packages.
Managing Patches (3 topics)
- Patch information.
- Patches installed on the system.
- Adding and removing patches.
Workstation booting (6 topics)
- System boot cycle.
- Run levels.
- Run Control scripts.
- The init process.
- Commands to bring the system down.
- Customizing the boot process.
System Security (3 topics)
- Access security.
- Restricting root login.
- Modify system files to investigate and control access to system.
User Management (1 topic)
- Administering users, groups & initialisation files.
Data Security (2 topics)
- Advanced file permissions - setuid, setgid, sticky bit.
- Access control lists
Process Control (2 topics)
- Administering processes.
- Process scheduling.
Understanding file types and the directory hierarchy (3 topics)
- Identify file types.
- The purpose of the main directories.
Configuring Disks (1 topic)
- Adding & identifying new devices.
Disk Slicing (3 topics)
- Disk planning.
- Disk partitions.
- Disk labels.
Creating and managing filesystems (5 topics)
- Solaris™ file system.
- Creating Unix Filesystem.
- The fsck utility.
- Monitoring file systems.
Mounting file systems (1 topic)
- Mounting and unmounting local Unix file systems. Using volume management with cdroms and floppy disks.
LP print service (3 topics)
- Setup a printer.
- Configure for local and remote printing.
- Print commands to print and monitor print requests
Backup and recovery concepts (2 topics)
- Investigate backup strategies and concepts.
- Review backup commands.
New Features of Solaris 9 (1 topic)
- Investigate files and commands that have changed in the new release of software.