Advanced Scripting For Windows System Administrators
Book Now - 1 Delivery Method Available:Scheduled Online Onsite
This course aims to take delegates with previous experience in scripting and show them how to use Windows Management Instrumentation(WMI).
The course will be delivered as an interactive lecture including many hands-on exercises. The delegates will be writing scripts they can take away and put to use in production.
- Understand and utilise WMI paths, objects, and methods to configure remote systems
- Manage event logs via script
- Gathering hardware/software inventories via script
- Install/remove software via script
- Retrieve hotfix/patch information with scripts
- Monitor systems with the WMI event model.
- Read data from Active Directory
- Script creation of user, group, and computer accounts
- Script creation of OU structures in AD
- Script updates of multiple account in AD
- Search AD for disabled/locked out/dormant accounts
- Script deletion of AD objects
- Use ADSI to manage local user accounts
- Script password management
We work with the following best of breed training partners using our bulk buying power to bring you a wider range of dates, locations and prices.
Introduction to WMI (1 topic)
- What is WMI; benefits of WMI; Common Information Model; Consumers and providers; Managed Object Format files; Windows management service; Overview of the WMI Software Development Kit
Retrieving WMI data (1 topic)
- Connecting to WMI; WMI management interface; WMI scripting API; WBEM scripting environment; WinMgmts moniker; SwbemLocator and SwbemServices objects; WMI object paths; WMI Query Language; the WMI DateTime format; managing disk drives; getting BIOS information
Configuration with WMI (1 topic)
- The WMI cache; calling WMI object methods; return values; associator objects; managing event logs; creating shares; accessing network information; changing IP settings; launching and terminating processes.
Remote WMI (1 topic)
- How to access WMI on remote systems; Using privileges in scripts; WMI Authentication Levels; WMI Authentication Levels; handling network errors; remote system shutdown/reboot; delegation of user privileges; backing up eventlogs; installing software; a network discovery script.
Monitoring with WMI (1 topic)
- Using WMI to monitor for events; monitoring multiple systems with asynchronous scripts; permanent event subscriptions; running scripts as the result of events; sending emails on events.
Scripting the Registry with WMI (1 topic)
- When to use the StdReg provider; managing large binary registry values; managing REGMULTISZ registry values; enumerating registry keys and values; monitoring the registry.
Accessing AD objects wih ADSI (1 topic)
- Using ADSI to connect to AD and to the local SAM accounts database; Understanding LDAP paths and the RootDSE object.