Do you want to improve your confidence when building relationships with others?
Do you sometimes find yourself struggling to get your message across clearly?
Would you like to increase your positive results when dealing with customers and colleagues?
The ability to communicate effectively is a key skill. Organisations depend upon people being able to get their message across clearly and this course will help you to establish and maintain co-operative relationships inside and outside the workplace.
Being able to communicate well will enhance every aspect of your job and personal life. People will understand you and respond more positively to you. You will encounter less resistance and frustration with your ideas. Being able to express yourself clearly and in the correct way will change the way you are seen and, if research is anything to go by, will do more for your promotion prospects than any technical skill you could learn.
You will benefit from this course if you need to build relationships with others, either face to face, in meetings or on the telephone and want to deliver clear and effective messages.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Communication effectively
- Apply the push/pull model of communicating
- State the attributes of effective listeners and incorporate them into your own listening skills
- Give and receive feedback
- Demonstrate listening and questioning skills effectively
- Identify how your inner thinking affects the way you communicate
- Recognise the mistakes that cloud understanding
- Improve written skills – for both documents and emails
- State the relevance of non-verbal communication
- Secognise the impact of your communication style on others using a variety of models
- Demonstrate the importance of assertiveness and its impact on communication
- Identify the quality of your relationships and pinpoint the ones you need to improve using a variety of tools and techniques
- Prepare for and practice dealing with challenging situations.
Course Topics (28 topics)
- Finding and learning to control your inner voice.
- What happens when a conversation goes wrong?
- Your definition of effective communication.
- The prerequisites for effective communication.
- 3 step tool for effective feedback.
- Non-verbal communication - the impact of body language.
- Communication and your thought process.
- Voice skills and the importance of tone.
- The content of your communication - KISS method.
- Understanding the importance of using positive versus neutral words.
- The relationship of thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
- Handling negative feelings and the intervention process.
- Improved questioning and listening skills.
- Building rapport and identify how to match and mirror.
- Power bases and how to use them.
- The fundamentals of assertiveness.
- An assertiveness model.
- Making your case - behaviour styles.
- Completion of a personal action plan.
- Practice at using and polishing your writing skill.
- Preparing and delivering a presentation and gain feedback on your presenting style.
- Getting the most effect from brainstorming sessions.
- Experience the effect a phone can have on a simple conversation and practice combating this problem.
- Transactional analysis - understanding how to create positive messages.
- Conducting meeting and briefings - discussing meetings and what makes them fail / waste time.
- Interact with other people with different communication styles and learn how to give and receive feedback in a positive way.
- Gain feedback on your communication style and impact.
- Lots of interaction and practice of many of the tools introduced and learned.