Power Systems for AIX I: LPAR Configuration and Planning
Learn the skills needed to become an effective administrator on IBM's POWER6-based systems that support Logical Partitioning (LPAR). Learn about the features of PowerVM Editions (Advanced POWER Virtualization - APV) and how to configure and manage LPARs running AIX V6.1 using the Hardware Management Console (HMC).
- Describe important concepts associated with managing POWER6 processor-based systems, such as Logical partitioning (LPAR), dynamic partitioning, virtual devices, virtual processors, virtual consoles, virtual Local Area Network (VLAN), and shared processors.
- Describe the features of the PowerVM Editions.
- Use the System Planning Tool to plan an LPAR configuration.
- Describe the functions of the HMC.
- Configure and manage the HMC, including users and permissions, software, startup and shutdown, remote access features, network configuration, security features, HMC backup and restore options, and the HMC reload procedure.
- Describe the rules associated with allocating resources, including dedicated processors, processing units for Micro-Partitions, memory, physical I/O for AIX and Linux partitions.
- Configure and manage LPARs using the HMC Graphical User Interface (GUI) and HMC commands.
- Interpret physical and AIX location codes and relate to the key hardware components.
- Power on and power off the POWER6 system.
Who Should Attend?
The audiences for this training are system administrators, technical support individuals, and IBM Business Partners who implement LPARs on an IBM System p systems.
Course Content9 topics
- Introduction to Partitioning
- Hardware System Overview
- Hardware Management Console
- System Planning Tool
- HMC and Managed System Maintenance
- System Power Management
- Planning and Configuring Logical Partitions
- Partition Operations
- Dynamic Resource Allocation
- Students must have basic system administration experience with AIX. This can be met by attending one of the prerequisite courses.
- Students do not need any experience with logical partitioning
- General TCP/IP knowledge is strongly recommended
- AIX System Administration - Part I A 5-day Training Course on AIX System Administration - Part I; course gives practical experience of how to administer a live AIX system. code ASA1 next date December 16 in London 2 other dates in London 5 days
- AIX System Administration - Part II A 5-day Training Course on AIX System Administration - Part II; Perform advanced administration tasks, perform basic troubleshooting and improve security. code ASA2 next date January 06 in London 2 other dates in London 5 days
- AIX Jumpstart for UNIX/Linux Professionals 5-day Jumpstart Course which provides practical experience of how to install, customize and administer a live AIX system. code AJS next date December 02 in London 3 other dates in London 5 days
Would you like this course to be delivered at your location? Make an Onsite Enquiry or call Sales on 408-759-5074.