This three-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to upgrade their SQL Server 2005 skills to SQL Server 2008.
This course is intended for experienced SQL Server 2005 developers and database administrators who want to upgrade their skills to SQL Server 2008.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the new features of SQL Server 2008.
- Manage SQL Server 2008.
- Optimize SQL Server 2008.
- Secure a SQL Server 2008 Database.
- Develop databases with SQL Server 2008.
- Create and maintain highly available SQL Server 2008 databases.
- Create and use a SQL Server 2008 data warehouse.
- Use SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.
- Use SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services.
Introduction to SQL Server 2008 (5 topics)
- The Evolution of SQL Server
- Preparing for SQL Server 2008
- Lab 1: Exploring SQL Server Books Online
- Reviewing the SQL Server Books Online Tutorials
- Reviewing SQL Server Books Online
SQL Server 2008 Manageability Enhancements (5 topics)
- Configuration Servers
- Policy-Based Management
- Lab 2: Managing SQL Server 2008
- Creating a Configuration Server
- Creating and Applying a Policy
SQL Server 2008 Performance Enhancements (6 topics)
- Managing Workloads with Resource Governor
- Monitoring Performance with the Data Collector
- Managing Performance with Plan Freezing
- Lab 3: Optimizing SQL Server 2008
- Using Resource Governor
- Using the Data Collector
SQL Server 2008 Security Enhancements (4 topics)
- Encrypting Databases
- Auditing All Actions
- Lab 4: Securing a SQL Server 2008 Database
- Using Transparent Data Encryption
SQL Server 2008 Database Development Enhancements (6 topics)
- Developer Tool Enhancements
- Data Type Enhancements
- Working with Spatial Data
- Lab 5: Developing Databases with SQL Server 2008
- Using Date and Time Data Types
- Using Spatial Data
SQL Server 2008 Availability Enhancements (5 topics)
- Always On Technologies
- Transactional Peer-to-Peer Replication
- Lab 6: Maintaining High Availability
- Configuring Peer-to-Peer Replication
- Adding a Replication Node
SQL Server 2008 Data Warehousing Enhancements (7 topics)
- ETL Enhancements
- Using Partitioned Tables
- Optimizing Data Storage
- Lab 7: Data Warehousing with SQL Server 2008
- Using Change Data Capture
- Using the MERGE Statement
- Working with Partitioned Data
SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Enhancements (6 topics)
- Reporting Services Architecture and Management
- Authoring Reports
- Report Processing and Rendering
- Lab 8: Using SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services
- Creating a Report with Report Designer
- Managing Reporting Services
SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services Enhancements (5 topics)
- Multidimensional Analysis with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Data Mining with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Lab 9: Using SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services
- Implementing Multidimensional Analysis
- Implementing Data Mining
Before attending this course, students must have experience developing or administering SQL Server 2005 databases.
“Excellent course, informative and well-paced.”— CSE, Cisco
“Very impressive instructor knowledge and experience. Very personable. Course included good general and specific content.”— Technical Account Manager, NYSE
“Very good overview of technologies new and old.”— Broadcast Engineer, Formula 1
“Excellent trainer, very clear, able to respond to questions. Good composure - 1st class!”— Applications Development Analyst, Hammersmith & Fulham Bridge Partnership
“Applying technology to our real time telco assisted understanding and felt more relevant. This made students more receptive.”— IS Business Analyst, Jersey Telecom
“Very informative and appropriate.”— Network Support Technician, BT