M6158: Updating Your SQL Server 2005 Skill to SQL Server 2008
This three-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to upgrade their SQL Server 2005 skills to SQL Server 2008.
This course is intended for experienced SQL Server 2005 developers and database administrators who want to upgrade their skills to SQL Server 2008.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the new features of SQL Server 2008.
- Manage SQL Server 2008.
- Optimize SQL Server 2008.
- Secure a SQL Server 2008 Database.
- Develop databases with SQL Server 2008.
- Create and maintain highly available SQL Server 2008 databases.
- Create and use a SQL Server 2008 data warehouse.
- Use SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.
- Use SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services.
Introduction to SQL Server 20085 topics
- The Evolution of SQL Server
- Preparing for SQL Server 2008
- Lab 1: Exploring SQL Server Books Online
- Reviewing the SQL Server Books Online Tutorials
- Reviewing SQL Server Books Online
SQL Server 2008 Manageability Enhancements5 topics
- Configuration Servers
- Policy-Based Management
- Lab 2: Managing SQL Server 2008
- Creating a Configuration Server
- Creating and Applying a Policy
SQL Server 2008 Performance Enhancements6 topics
- Managing Workloads with Resource Governor
- Monitoring Performance with the Data Collector
- Managing Performance with Plan Freezing
- Lab 3: Optimizing SQL Server 2008
- Using Resource Governor
- Using the Data Collector
SQL Server 2008 Security Enhancements4 topics
- Encrypting Databases
- Auditing All Actions
- Lab 4: Securing a SQL Server 2008 Database
- Using Transparent Data Encryption
SQL Server 2008 Database Development Enhancements6 topics
- Developer Tool Enhancements
- Data Type Enhancements
- Working with Spatial Data
- Lab 5: Developing Databases with SQL Server 2008
- Using Date and Time Data Types
- Using Spatial Data
SQL Server 2008 Availability Enhancements5 topics
- Always On Technologies
- Transactional Peer-to-Peer Replication
- Lab 6: Maintaining High Availability
- Configuring Peer-to-Peer Replication
- Adding a Replication Node
SQL Server 2008 Data Warehousing Enhancements7 topics
- ETL Enhancements
- Using Partitioned Tables
- Optimizing Data Storage
- Lab 7: Data Warehousing with SQL Server 2008
- Using Change Data Capture
- Using the MERGE Statement
- Working with Partitioned Data
SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Enhancements6 topics
- Reporting Services Architecture and Management
- Authoring Reports
- Report Processing and Rendering
- Lab 8: Using SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services
- Creating a Report with Report Designer
- Managing Reporting Services
SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services Enhancements5 topics
- Multidimensional Analysis with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Data Mining with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Lab 9: Using SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services
- Implementing Multidimensional Analysis
- Implementing Data Mining
Before attending this course, students must have experience developing or administering SQL Server 2005 databases.
Would you like this course to be delivered at your location? Make an Onsite Enquiry or call Sales on 408-759-5074.