Always wanted to know your mp3s from your WAVs but were afraid to ask?
This course is designed for those who work with audio and have some understanding but need to know more about compression, file-formats and limitations of digital audio files.
The essentials are stripped down and presented in as non-technical a way as possible and audio samples are used throughout the course so you can actually hear the different results.
Audio basics4 topics
- The audio spectrum
- Audio dynamic range
- Recording analogue audio
- Analogue media - LPs and tape
Converting to digital audio10 topics
- Digitising audio
- Explanation of sampling rates
- The Nyquist frequency
- Aliasing and anti-aliasing
- Bit depth and dynamic range
- Dither noise and masking dither noise
- Examples of different types of sampling
- Storing PCM Recordings
- PCM as WAV and AIFF
Bit-rate compression of digital audio7 topics
- Why do we need to compress?
- Examples of file formats - mp3, AAF, mp4 etc
- How compression works
- Using different software for compression
- Identifying compression defects and artifacts
- Streaming compressed files
- A-B comparison between uncompressed and compressed examples
Encoding audio2 topics
- The need for error correction
- Information carried on the PQ channels
Dynamic range compression5 topics
- Why compress your dynamic range?
- Dynamic range compression vs bitrate compression
- When to apply compression
- Different examples - different sounds
- Threshold, ratio and gain - understanding the controls
Editing audio3 topics
- Simple examples of editing
- Speech editing
- Music editing
Questions and answers
Delegates should have a basic understanding of audio principles.
Would you like this course to be delivered at your location? Make an Onsite Enquiry or call Sales on 408-759-5074.